World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Sebastiano (Milan)

Article Id: WHEBN0035296868
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Sebastiano (Milan)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Santa Maria della Pace, Milan, Orto Botanico di Cascina Rosa, San Vittore al Corpo, Milan, Palazzo Castiglioni (Milan), Orto Botanico di Brera
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Sebastiano (Milan)

Temple-Church of San Sebastiano
Engraving (1745) by Marc'Antonio Dal Re
Basic information
Location Milan, Italy
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Milan
Architectural description
Architectural type Church
Architectural style Mannerism
Groundbreaking 1576
Completed 17th century
San Sebastiano.

The Temple of San Sebastiano is a late-Renaissance- or Mannerist-style church in central Milan.

The cylindrical church is shaped like a can capped with a dome. The octagonal church was commissioned in 1576, after the end of a season of plague, dedicated to St Sebastian. The non-linear layout is atypical for post-Tridentine churches. Perhaps the site, which had housed an earlier medieval church or sanctuary dedicated to San Quilino, dictated the shape. Some evidence suggests that the architect Pellegrino Tibaldi designed the building with other round churches or the Pantheon as models. He did not spare the mannerist details such as false windows on the top story, and highly decorated spandrels. The church construction was advanced in 1586, when Tibaldi left for Spain, and supervision of the project fell to Pietro Antonio Barca, who modified the height and size of the dome. In 1616-1617, under Fabio Mangone further reconstruction occurred with addition of a chancel to the main chapel. The cupola was decorated in 1832 by Agostino Comerio. The building has been used both as a church and civic chapel. Some rooms in the vestry are used to screen films.

Source

  • Lombardy Beniculturali entry


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.