Santa Felicita

Church of Saint Felicity of Florence
(Chiesa di Santa Felicita)

West front of Santa Felicita behind Vasari Corridor.

Basic information
Location Florence, Italy
Geographic coordinates Coordinates: 43°46′0.60″N 11°15′9.49″E / 43.7668333°N 11.2526361°E / 43.7668333; 11.2526361

Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Florence
Architectural description
Architect(s) Ferdinando Ruggieri
Architectural type Church
Groundbreaking 1736
Completed 1739

Santa Felicita (Church of St Felicity) is a church in Florence, Italy, probably the oldest in the city after San Lorenzo. In the 2nd century, Syrian Greek merchants settled in the area south of the Arno and are thought to have brought Christianity to the region. The first church on the site was probably built in the late 4th century or early 5th century and was dedicated to Saint Felicity of Rome. A new church was built in the 11th century and the current church largely dates from 1736–1739, under design by Ferdinando Ruggieri, who turned it into a one nave edifice. The monastery was suppressed under the Napoleonic occupation of 1808-1810.

The Vasari Corridor passes through the façade of this church and on the inside there is large window, covered by a thick gate, where the Grand Dukes of the Medici family used to listen to the mass without being seen by the people staying at ground level.

Description

Only the 14th century Chapter House survives from the Romanesque with fragmentary frescoes (1387) by Niccolò di Pietro Gerini (Crucifixion and in the ceiling, roundels with the Redeemer and the Seven Virtues).

The Brunelleschian sacristy dates from 1473 and was under the patronage of the Canigiani family. There are the 14th century Madonna with Child and Saints by Taddeo Gaddi, the 15th century Adoration of the Magi by Francesco d'Antonio and St. Felicity with Her Seven Sons by Neri di Bicci.

The Barbadori (or Capponi) chapel dates also to the 15th century (1419-1423); it was designed by Filippo Brunelleschi and when the patronage passed to Lodovico di Gino Capponi the decoration was entrusted to Pontormo, who worked on it from 1525 until 1528. The painting of the vault has disappeared but in the chapel can still be seen the Four Evangelists in the pendentives and two of the greatest masterpieces by Pontormo: the Virgin and the Angel Gabriel on the side wall and the altarpiece of the Deposition above the end altar. The latter, enclosed in its beautiful gilded fame, with its surrealistic dimensions of elongated and entangled bodies and its range of iridescent colours, constitutes one of the most important works of Early Mannerism. The stained glass window depicting the Journey to the Sepulchre is a copy of the one done by Guglielmo da Marcillat in 1526.

The desire to create a complementary space to this led to the decoration of the opposite Canigiani chapel by Bernardino Poccetti (Miracle of Our Lady of the Snow, 1589-1590). In 1565, as recorded by Vasari himself, Grand Duke Cosimo I de' Medici decided to build the long corridor which would connect the old Priors’ Palace in Piazza della Signoria with the new Medici residence, previously property of the Pitti family; as this would pass through the church of Santa Felicita, the church began to play a very important role in the life of the Medici court. Cigoli was responsible for the design of the chancel whose patrons were the Guicciardini family (and where the famous historian Francesco was buried in 1540). The work continued until the vault was decorated by Cinganelli (ca. 1620); on the altar is the Adoration of the Shepherds attributed to Francesco Brina (1587).

In the church there are also the Martyrdom of the Maccabees (1863) by Antonio Ciseri in the 3rd chapel on the right, the Meeting of St. Anne and St. Joachim, attributed to Michele Tosini, at the end of the right transept, the Assumption of the Virgin with Saints (1677), attributed to Baldassare Franceschini, at the end of the left transept.

Sources

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.