World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saratoga Springs Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030339599
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saratoga Springs Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, 4722d Air Defense Group, Elliston Ridge Air Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Saratoga Springs Air Force Station

Saratoga Springs Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Saratoga Springs AFS is located in New York
Saratoga Springs AFS
Saratoga Springs AFS
Location of Saratoga Springs AFS, New York
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1952
In use 1952-1977
Garrison information
Garrison 656th Aircraft Control and Warning (later Radar) Squadron

Saratoga Springs (Also known as Schuylerville) Air Force Station (ADC ID: P-50, NORAD ID: Z-50) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 7.2 miles (11.6 km) southeast of Saratoga Springs, New York. It was closed by the Air Force in 1977.

History

In September 1948 the Air Force authorized Air Defense Command to establish thirteen radar stations in the Northeastern United States. These stations were in operation by mid-1949. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of additional stations, and it received the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Army Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

Because of difficulties with new production radar equipment, the radar station, initially known as Schuylerville, NY, did not open until 1 February 1952 when the 656th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron activated with AN/FPS-3 and AN/FPS-5 radars and assumed the coverage from the temporary "Lashup" site at Schenectady, NY (L-7), and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. The station was redesignated as Saratoga Springs AFS on 1 December 1953.

Saratoga Springs AFS was one of the first to receive an AN/FPS-20 search radar in the spring of 1957. By 1958 the original radars were gone, and operations continued with an AN/FPS-20 and a pair of AN/FPS-6 height-finder radars. During 1958 Saratoga Springs AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-02 at Stewart AFB, New York. After joining, the squadron was re-designated as the 656th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 15 December 1958. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile.

The search radar subsequently was upgraded in 1961 to become an AN/FPS-65. Major equipment changes occurred during 1963 with the arrival of an AN/FPS-27 search radar along with AN/FPS-26A and AN/FPS-90 height-finder radars. On 31 July 1963, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-50. In 1964 this site became an ADC/FAA joint-use facility. The AN/FPS-65 was removed in 1965.

In addition to the main facility, Saratoga Springs operated three unmanned AN/FPS-14 Gap Filler sites:

  • New Preston, CT (P-50A)
  • Andes, NY (P-50B)
  • New Salem, MA (P-50E)

All were closed in June 1968.

Over the years, the equipment at the station was upgraded or modified to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the information gathered by the radars. The site conducted routine operations until 1976 when it was announced the station would be closed as a result of the unlikelihood of an air attack on the Continental United States. The 656th Radar Squadron was inactivated on 30 June 1977. The FAA continued using the AN/FPS-27 tower to house beacon (SIF) only for several years after the USAF ceased radar operations.

Today, Saratoga Springs Air Force Station is abandoned and deteriorating. Most structures and towers still stand in various states of disrepair. The three Gap Filler sites have their support buildings still standing, also abandoned.

Air Force units and assignments

Emblem of the 656th Radar Squadron

Units:

  • 656th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, Activated 27 November 1950 at Schenectady, NY (L-7)
Moved to permanent site at Schuylerville, NY 1 February 1952 (redesignated Saratoga Springs Air Force Station) 1 December 1953
Redesignated: 656th Radar Squadron (SAGE), 15 December 1958
Redesignated: 656th Radar Squadron, 1 February 1974
Inactivated 30 June 1977

Assignments:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.