World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Schwedt/Oder

 

Schwedt/Oder

Schwedt

Old town

Coat of arms
Schwedt
Schwedt

Coordinates: 53°03′N 14°16′E / 53.050°N 14.267°E / 53.050; 14.267Coordinates: 53°03′N 14°16′E / 53.050°N 14.267°E / 53.050; 14.267

Country Germany
State Brandenburg
District
Government
 • Mayor Jürgen Polzehl (SPD)
Area
 • Total 200.12 km2 (77.27 sq mi)
Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 31,042
 • Density 160/km2 (400/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 16303
Dialling codes 03332, 033336
Vehicle registration UM
Website www.schwedt.eu

Schwedt (or Schwedt/Oder; German pronunciation: [ˈʃveːt]) is a town in northeastern Brandenburg, Germany. With the official status of a Große kreisangehörige Stadt (major district town), it is the largest town of the Uckermark district, located near the Oder River close to the border with Poland.

Overview

The formerly agrarian town today has one of the largest oil refineries (PCK Raffinerie GmbH) in Germany, established in 1958 and connected to the Russian Druzhba pipeline network, and is the largest location of paper industry (UPM) in Europe. Most industries were located in the remote area during socialist rule in the 1960s and 1970s.

Large residential areas were built for the workers moving to Schwedt. About 9% of the town's flats are in prefab concrete buildings (Plattenbau) dating from the era. As many jobs were lost after German reunification and the return to market economy, Schwedt has lost a quarter of its population since 1990. In recent decades, Schwedt became a model town for the demolition of Plattenbau housings in order to fight flat vacancies and urban decay.

Geography

Schwedt is situated in the east of the historic Uckermark region stretching from the Oder to the Havel River. It is situated on an sandur at the western edge of the Oder floodplain running along the German-Polish border, which in 1995 was declared as the Lower Oder Valley National Park nature reserve. Across the river and the border, about 10 km (6.2 mi) to the southeast, is the Polish town of Chojna (formerly Königsberg in der Neumark). The nearest German towns are Angermünde (about 18 km (11 mi) to the west) and Gartz (18 km (11 mi) down the Oder).

Local districts

In a 1974 municipal reform, the neighbouring village of Heinersdorf was incorporated into Schwedt, followed by Blumenhagen, Gatow and Kunow in 1993, by Kummerow in 1998, by Criewen and Zützen in 2001, Stendell in 2002, and the former town Vierraden in 2003. With 200.12 km2 (77.27 sq mi) Schwedt is among the 100 largest German municipalities by area.

Nearest cities and towns

Gartz (Germany), Penkun (Germany), Szczecin (Poland), Gryfino (Poland), Cedynia (Poland), Chojna (Poland), Mieszkowice (Poland), Moryń (Poland), Trzcińsko-Zdrój (Poland), Myślibórz (Poland), Pyrzyce (Poland)

History

After the Migration Period, the area had been settled by Polabian Slavs. From 937 onwards the lands of the Slavic Ukrani tribes in the west were subued by the Saxon forces of Margrave Gero and incoprporated into his vast Marca Geronis', while the lands east of the Oder were held by Pomeranian tribes under pressure by the Polish forces of Duke Mieszko I. The Saxon Northern March was lost in the Great Slav Rising of 983, and not before 1147 the Saxon count Albert the Bear again invaded the lands on the Oder river, which remained disputed between the newly established Margraviate of Brandenburg and the Pomeranian dukes.

The settlement of Schwedt was first mentioned in a 1265 deed. In the course of the Brandenburg–Pomeranian conflict, the Brandenburg margrave Louis II the Roman ceded it to Duke Barnim III of Pomerania in 1354. It was again besieged by the first Hohenzollern margrave Frederick I in 1434, but to no avail. In 1481 the Thuringian counts of Hohnstein acquired the estates, they granted town privileges to Schwedt as well as to neighbouring Vierraden and introduced the Protestant Reformation.

The rise of Schwedt came to an end with the extinction of the Hohnstein counts in 1609 and the disastrous Thirty Years' War, when the town on the road from Stettin to Berlin was plundered several times. In 1631 King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden after landing in Pomerania camped here on his way to the Battle of Breitenfeld, six years later the Swedish field marshal Johan Banér set the town on fire, after its citizens refused capitulation.

During the Great Northern War, the Treaty of Schwedt was signed in the town.

Demography

Year Population
1830 5,297
December 1, 1875 9,592
December 1, 1880 9,899
December 1, 1890 9,801
December 1, 1910 9,482
June 16, 1933 9,176
May 17, 1939 10,636
October 29, 1946 5,961
Year Population
31 August 1950 6,506
31 December 1964 19,108
1 January 1971 34,292
31 December 1981 52,291
31 December 1990 49,443
31 December 1995 45,931
31 December 2000 40,634
31 December 2004 37,940

Notable people

  • Jörg Hoffmann – Freestyle swimmer
  • Britta Steffen – Freestyle swimmer - a current holder of the world record in women's 50 and 100 metre freestyle.

Julia Brendler - Actress

International relations

Schwedt is twinned with:

References

External links

  •  
  • City's official website (German)
  • City's official website (English)
  • official website of National Park "Unteres Odertal" (German)
  • official website of PCK Raffinerie GmbH (German)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.