World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Seven boyars

Article Id: WHEBN0010168709
Reproduction Date:

Title: Seven boyars  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mstislavsky, Nikita Romanovich, Regalia of the Russian tsars, History of Russia, History of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1648)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Seven boyars

The Seven Boyars (Russian: Семибоярщина, the Russian term indicating "Rule of the Seven Boyars" or "the Deeds of the Seven Boyars") were a group of Russian nobles who deposed Tsar Vasily Shuisky on 17 July 1610 and, later that year, invited the Poles into Moscow.

The seven were Princes Fedor Ivanovich Mstislavskii (the leader of the group), Ivan Mikhailovich Borotynskii, Andrei Vasilevich Trubetskoi, Andrei Vasilevich Golitsyn, Boris Mikhailovich Lykov-Obolenskii, and Boyars Ivan Nikitich Romanov and Fedor Ivanovich Sheremetev. Due to the Polish advance into Russia, the Bolotnikov Revolt, and other unrest during the Time of Troubles, Shuisky was never very popular, nor was he able to effectively rule outside of the capital, itself. The seven deposed him and he was forcibly tonsured a monk in the Chudov Monastery in the Kremlin. He was later carried off to Poland where he died in prison at Gostynin in 1612.[1]

On 17/27 August, the seven agreed to accept Władysław as Tsar of Russia. The Poles entered the city on 21 September. While some consider the rule of the Seven in Moscow to have lasted only from about June 1610 until the arrival of the Poles in September, others consider their rule to have lasted until the Poles were driven from Moscow by the popular movement headed by Kuzma Minin and Prince Dmitry Pozharsky in 1612. Their power to act after September 1610, however, was rather nominal.

See also

References

  1. ^ Robert O. Crummey, The Formation of Muscovy 1304–1613 (New York and London: Longman, 1987), pp. 224–5.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.