World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sforza Castle Pinacoteca

 

Sforza Castle Pinacoteca

Pinacoteca del Castello Sforzesco
An inner view of Sforza Castle.
Location Piazza Castello 3, 20121, Milan, Italy
Director Claudio Salsi
Website http://www.milanocastello.it/ing/home.html

The Sforza Castle Pinacoteca (Pinacoteca del Castello Sforzesco in Italian) is an art gallery in the complex of the Sforza Castle Museums in Milan, northern Italy.

Contents

  • History 1
  • See also 2
  • Gallery 3
  • Sources 4
  • External links 5

History

Inaugurated in 1878, gallery displays over 230 artworks, which include masterpieces by Titian, Andrea Mantegna, Canaletto, Antonello da Messina, Pisanello, Vincenzo Foppa, Giovanni Bellini, Correggio, Bernardino Luini, Lorenzo Lotto, Tintoretto and others. The complete collection of the museum, enriched in the last two centuries by donations of illustrious citizens and collectors, now has more than 1500 artworks.

The first rooms of the Pinacoteca are dedicated to religious paintings of the 15th and 16th centuries with artworks by Vincenzo Foppa, Bergognone, Bramantino, Carlo Crivelli, Bernardino Luini and other Lombard and Italian Renaissance painters. This part of the museum includes the Trivulzio Madonna by Andrea Mantegna, dating from 1497 (another Trivulzio Madonna by Filippo Lippi is also in the museum).

The second half of the Pinacoteca displays artworks from the 16th, 17th and 18th century. This includes both secular and religious works from artists such as Canaletto, Giambattista Tiepolo, Bernardo Bellotto, Titian and Tintoretto.

Some portraits of the Sforza family members from the 15th-16th centuries century are also on display in the museum.

See also

Gallery

Sources

  • Le citt√† d'arte: Milano. Skira. 2008.¬†.
  • Milano e provincia, Touring Club Italiano ed.2003, autori vari.

External links

  • Official website


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.