World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Shirdley Hill railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0005946241
Reproduction Date:

Title: Shirdley Hill railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Longton Bridge railway station, Garstang Town railway station, Pilling railway station, Cockerham Cross Halt railway station, Hoole railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Shirdley Hill railway station

Shirdley Hill
Looking south to the remains of Shirdley Hill railway station in 1949
Location
Place Shirdley Hill
Area West Lancashire
Coordinates
Grid reference
Operations
Original company Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway
Pre-grouping Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
London and North Western Railway
Post-grouping London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Platforms 2
History
1 November 1887 Opened
26 September 1938 Closed (regular services)
1952 Closed (all services)
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Shirdley Hill was a railway station in the village of Shirdley Hill, Lancashire, on the Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway. Situated on Renacres Lane, the station opened on 1 November 1887 and was the only station on the Barton Branch to have a level crossing instead of a road bridge. The "Altcar Bob" service operated through Shirdley Hill from July 1906.

A plaque on the corner of Shaws Garth, marking the site of the station.

The station closed to passengers on 26 September 1938, though the line remained open for goods traffic until 21 January 1952. Tracks from Butts Lane Halt to Shirdley Hill were left in place until 1964 for the storage of excursion coaches.

Nothing remains of the station, with the site now occupied by a road named Shaws Garth, just off Renacres Lane. The road is named in memory of the last stationmaster, Thomas Shaw, and a plaque marks the location of the station. The plaque reads: "Site of Shirdley Hill Railway Station on the Southport-Downholland Branch Line. Closed to passengers 1938 and to goods traffic 1952. Stationmaster Thomas Shaw."

References

  • Gell, Rob (1986). An Illustrated Survey of Railway Stations Between Southport & Liverpool 1848-1986. Heyday Publishing Company.  

Further reading

  • Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Patrick Stephens Ltd.  

External links

  • Shirdley Hill at Disused Stations
  • RailwaycodesThe line and mileages via
Preceding station Disused railways Following station
Kew Gardens
until 1907
  Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway
Barton Branch
  Halsall
until 1906
Heathey Lane Halt
from 1907
    New Cut Lane Halt
from 1906


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.