World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Silesian Parliament

Article Id: WHEBN0008022738
Reproduction Date:

Title: Silesian Parliament  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Silesian Treasury, Katowice, Franciszek Fesser, Silesia, Silesian Voivodeship (1920–39)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Silesian Parliament

The Silesian Parliament in Katowice.
The Silesian Parliament - Interior.

Silesian Parliament or Silesian Sejm (Polish: Sejm Śląski, German: Schlesisches Parlament, Czech: Slezský parlament) was the governing body of the Silesian Voivodeship (1920–1939), an autonomous voivodeship of the Second Polish Republic between 1920 and 1945. It was elected in democratic elections and had certain influence over the usage of taxes collected in Silesia. It consisted of 48 deputies (24 from 1935).

History

The eastern part of Upper Silesia became part of the Second Polish Republic following the Silesian Uprisings throughout the Upper Silesian region between 1918 and 1921, and Upper Silesia Plebiscite. The land was subsequently divided by an allied commission and the League of Nations, leaving Katowice region on the Polish side. Together with Cieszyn Silesia it formed Silesian Voievodeship with significant autonomy (Silesian Parliament as a constituency and Silesian Voivodship Council as the executive body).

Building

Designed by architect Lech Wojtyczko, the Silesian Parliament was built in 1925-1929. For a very long time it was the biggest structure in Poland.[1] Currently it hosts the offices of the Silesian Voivodship. The building has seven floors and contains one of four paternosters currently in use in Poland. The Polish architect Adolf Szysko-Bohusz announced a competition for the design of the new Silesian Parliament in 1925, who wished the building to espouse the local Polish cultural identity of the region, instead of the more customary German/ Prussian style. When the building was inaugurated in May 1929, Michal Grazynski, President of the Province of Upper silesia, called the building a "material symbol of Polish culture and power".[2]

The building is one of Poland's official national Historic Monuments (Pomnik historii), as designated October 22, 2012 and tracked by the National Heritage Board of Poland.

References

  1. ^ http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/Katowice/Autonomous-Silesia-71245f?more=1
  2. ^ http://www.artmargins.com/archive/312-architecture-in-the-tension-zone-of-national-assertiveness-the-examples-of-poznan-and-upper-silesia-in-the-first-decades-of-the-20th-century
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.