World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sindi, Estonia

Article Id: WHEBN0003449902
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sindi, Estonia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pärnu County, Julius Seljamaa, Estonia, List of newspapers in Estonia, Allar Raja
Collection: Cities and Towns in Estonia, Kreis Pernau, Municipalities of Estonia, Populated Places in Pärnu County
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sindi, Estonia

Sindi
Sindi
Flag of Sindi
Flag
Coat of arms of Sindi
Coat of arms
Country  Estonia
County Pärnu County
Government
Population (2013)
 • Total 4,076
Ethnicity
 • Estonians 81.1%
 • Russians 14.8%
 • other 4.1%
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)

Sindi (German: Zintenhof) is a town in Pärnu County, Estonia, with a population of 4,076 in 2013. It is located 14 kilometers from the county capital Pärnu.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Geography 2
  • Notable people 3
  • Gallery 4
  • External links 5

History

In the area of Sindi was the Mesolithic settlement of Pulli, dating from around 8500 BC - the oldest known settlement in Estonia. It was discovered by geologists in 1965. The settlement probably existed for a short period, as the area was later covered by water. As a swampy region, the area remained unpopulated until the 16th century.

The town's name is derived from Clauss Zindt, a mayor of Pärnu in 1565, who founded a manor (Zintenhof) where the town is now. The settlement was formed in 1833 around a textile factory owned by the manor. It officially became a borough in 1921 and a town in 1938.

Important to the town's development was the founding of a railway station 1928. The railway operated until 1970.

Geography

Sindi is located on the left bank of Pärnu River, between the river and the wetland of Lanksaare.

Notable people

Gallery

External links

  • Official website (in Estonian)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.