World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas

Article Id: WHEBN0002876649
Reproduction Date:

Title: Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Guipuzcoan Company of Caracas, Basil Zaharoff, Municipalities in Gipuzkoa, Larraul, Antzuola
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas

Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas
Municipality
Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas
Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas is located in Spain
Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas
Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas
Location in Spain
Coordinates:
Country  Spain
Autonomous community  País Vasco
Province Guipúzcoa
Comarca Debabarrena
Founded 15 October 1343
Government
 • Alcalde Iker Aldazabal (Basque Nationalist Party)
Area
 • Total 14.22 km2 (5.49 sq mi)
Elevation 111 m (364 ft)
Population (2009)
 • Total 3,990
 • Density 280/km2 (730/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Placentino, -na; Soraluzetarra
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 20590
Official language(s) Basque
Website Official website

Soraluze (Basque) or Placencia de las Armas (Spanish), officially Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas, is a town located in the province of Gipuzkoa, in the Basque Country, Spain.

The town of Placencia de las Armas has been involved since its foundation in the manufacture of weapons of all kinds. At its founding in 1343, it called Placencia Soraluze then in the fifteenth century it added las Armas or weapons to its name in reference to its main industry. In this village the Royal Guns Factory ended weapons manufacturing in the middle of the twentieth century.

Its coat of arms consists of the following elements: a field of gules a castle battlements three gold exiting their respective sides small white flags with the cross of Burgundy. The field is surrounded by a rope whose sides have two lions and various weapons. The head of a crown has 9 points.

Contents

  • Placencia 1
  • The Basque place name, Soraluce 2
  • "De las armas" or "Of the arms" 3
  • The colloquial and official name 4
  • External links 5

Placencia

The town was founded in 1343 by king Alfonso XI of Castile under the name of "Placencia". The name "Placencia" is common, under similar forms, as seen in other foundations of earlier medieval villages like Plasencia, Piacenza or Plencia. It is considered that this name derives from the phrase ut Placeat (for pleasure or to please) expression with which the king or lord in turn used as the basis for a village or town's name. For example, the motto of the Plasencia Extremadura is Deo et ut Placeat hominibus (to please God and men).

The Basque place name, Soraluce

Soraluce (with the current Basque script is written Soraluze ) appears to be the former name of the place where the town was founded. The king ordered the inhabitants of Herlaegia and Soraluze populate the newly created village of Placencia. When in 1397 the representatives of the village attended the first General Assembly of Gipuzkoa, they attended under the name of Placencia Soraluce , according to the records of the meeting.

In Basque language Soro means "field" or "garden" and luze means "long"; so that the name seems to mean pretty obviously "long field or orchard." In addition Placencia Soraluce is settled in a narrow valley along the Deba river, which matches up well with the name.

"De las armas" or "Of the arms"

In the sixteenth century the government greatly developed its arms industry in Placencia, so that people no longer called Placencia Soraluce but became known as Placencia de las Armas. Until the last quarter of the twentieth century, the arms industry has remained at the base of the economy of the town and today the village retains that designation fruit of its historical economic activity.

The colloquial and official name

In Basque the town is colloquially known under different names like, Plaentzia , Plazentzia , Plaentxi and Plaentxia . In addition to these "traditional" denominations the "historical" name was Soraluze . When formalizing the Basque name of the town the 'form' Soraluze was eventually imposed against those originating in Placencia. Until 2005 the euskaltzaindia admitted Soraluze and Plaentzia as synonymous.

From 1988 the official name of the township was changed to 'Soraluze-Placencia de las Armas' . Although it considered a bilingual designation; Soraluze, Basque name, and Placencia de las Armas, in Spanish; others use it as a compound name.

The adjective in Spanish is' 'Plasencia' 'or' 'Plasencia'. In Basque soraluzetarra or plaentxiarra are used.

External links

  • Official Website Information available in Spanish and Basque.
  • SORALUZE-PLACENCIA DE LAS ARMAS in the Bernardo Estornés Lasa - Auñamendi Encyclopedia (Euskomedia Fundazioa) Information available in Spanish
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.