World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Southampton Guildhall

Article Id: WHEBN0025807968
Reproduction Date:

Title: Southampton Guildhall  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Southampton Civic Centre, Live Nation Entertainment, BAMMA Events, Live Nation UK, Red Lion Inn, Southampton
Collection: Buildings and Structures in Southampton, Visitor Attractions in Southampton
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Southampton Guildhall

O2 Guildhall Southampton
Exterior of the O2 Guildhall Southampton, shown at night, 2005
Former names Southampton Guildhall (1937-2013)
Address W Marlands Rd
Southampton SO14 7LP
England
Location Civic Centre
Owner Southampton City Council
(operated by Live Nation UK)
Capacity 1,749
Opened 13 February 1937 (1937-02-13)
Website
Venue Info

The O2 Guildhall Southampton (originally the Southampton Guildhall) is a multipurpose venue in Southampton, England, located within the Civic Centre. The grade II* listed building was originally a town hall. There are three venues within the Southampton Guildhall catering to various event formats: the Guildhall, the Solent Suite and a lecture theatre.[1]

About

The Guildhall was opened on 13 February 1937 and was designed to complement the rest of the Civic Suite. It features a large and unique pipe organ which was built into it from new. The organ has two distinct consoles and is a fully featured classical concert organ on the one hand, and also a large theatre organ on the other. The two consoles share the same body of approximately 4,000 pipes which are housed in chambers above the proscenium arch. It was the largest organ made by its builder, John Compton. On 7 October 2013, the venue was renamed to the O2 Guildhall Southampton, due to partnership between Live Nation UK and O2 Telefónica.[2]

References

Website with information about the venue's organ: www.guildhall-compton.org.uk

  1. ^ Southampton Guildhall Webpage
  2. ^ "Southampton Guildhall renaming 'cheapens' venue".  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.