World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St. James Catholic Church (Woodbridge, New Jersey)

Article Id: WHEBN0023595971
Reproduction Date:

Title: St. James Catholic Church (Woodbridge, New Jersey)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Woodbridge Township, New Jersey
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St. James Catholic Church (Woodbridge, New Jersey)

St. James Catholic Church is located in Woodbridge, New Jersey. With approximately 4,000 registered families, St. James is one of the largest parishes in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen.

History

St. James was founded in the village of Woodbridge in 1860, however Mass was celebrated in households. In 1865, the a small wooden chapel was built on the south side of Main Street. St. James soon became a mission of St. Mary's in Perth Amboy. In 1877, Woodbridge received its first resident pastor, Fr. Stephen Berteloni, who served until his death four years later.

Fr. James F. Devine was appointed the new pastor of St. James. Fr. Devine laid the cornerstone of a new wooden church in 1887. The church was consecrated in 1888, and on this occasion, the church was officially dedicated to St. James the Less. Fr. Devine also invited the Sisters of Mercy from Bordentown, New Jersey to start St. James School, which was to be housed in the old converted chapel.

In 1918, Fr. Richard Farrell was appointed pastor. Fr Farrell made many changes to St. James, the largest of which was the moving of the church building by tractor to Amboy Avenue.

Fr. Charles McCorristin was appointed pastor in 1937, and Monsignor in 1948. Due to the continuous growth of the parish, Msgr McCorristin oversaw an addition to the school as well as a campaign to build a new church.

After the death of Msgr McCorristin in 1966, Msgr. Maurice Griffin held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new church. The old church was demolished April 1968 and the new church was dedicated June 23, 1968. The new St. James was built of Pennsylvania limestone, in the Neo-Romanesque style. The church can seat 1,200 people, nearly twice that of the second parish church.

The second parish church, or the "Old Gray Church" was in disrepair. It was slated for demolition at the completion of the new church. At the Protest of many in the parish, the old church was torn down, with few artifacts spared.

Throughout the late 1980s and early 1990s the New Parish Building underwent many changes. The simple sanctuary was repainted and new fixtures introduced.

In 1995, St. James welcomed a community of Vietnamese immigrants into the parish. This community is still active in the parish and ministers to about 400 families

The Parish community celebrated its 150th Anniversary in 2010.

Sources

  • Michael Krull, The Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen, Editions de Signe, Strasbourg, France, 2005
  • St. James Church, Custombook, Inc., 1970

Coordinates: 40°33′10″N 74°16′55″W / 40.552882°N 74.281815°W / 40.552882; -74.281815

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.