World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St Olave District (Metropolis)

Article Id: WHEBN0028274737
Reproduction Date:

Title: St Olave District (Metropolis)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of members of the Metropolitan Board of Works, Metropolis Management Act 1855, Metropolitan Board of Works, St Saviour's District (Metropolis), Hackney District (Metropolis)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St Olave District (Metropolis)

St Olave

History
 - Created 1855
 - Abolished 1900
 - Succeeded by Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey
Status District
Government St Olave District Board of Works

St Olave was a local government district within the metropolitan area of London, England from 1855 to 1900. It was formed by the Metropolis Management Act 1855 and was governed by the St Olave District Board of Works, which consisted of elected vestrymen.

Until 1889 the district was in the county of Surrey, but included in the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works. In 1889 the area of the MBW was constituted the County of London, and the district board became a local authority under the London County Council.

Geography

The district had an extensive River Thames frontage, stretching from London Bridge to Shad Thames. It extended inland to cover London Bridge station, part of the approach tracks, and part of the site of Guy's Hospital.

Area

The district comprised the following civil parishes[1] (area in 1881):

In 1896 the parishes of Southwark St Olave and St Thomas were combined.[1]

Abolition

The district was abolished in 1900 and became the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey.[1] It now forms part of the London Borough of Southwark.

References

  1. ^ a b c Youngs, Frederic (1979). Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England. I: Southern England. London:  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.