World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Steklov Institute of Mathematics

Article Id: WHEBN0000984494
Reproduction Date:

Title: Steklov Institute of Mathematics  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Dmitry Kramkov, Mikhail Lavrentyev, Boris Struminsky, Anatoly Karatsuba, Russian Academy of Sciences
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Steklov Institute of Mathematics

Steklov Institute of Mathematics or Steklov Mathematical Institute (Russian: Математический институт имени В.А.Стеклова) is a research institute based in Moscow, specialized in mathematics, and a part of the Russian Academy of Sciences. It was established April 24, 1934 by the decision of the General Assembly of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR in Leningrad. The institute is named after Vladimir Andreevich Steklov.

In 1940 it was moved to Moscow, but its old building became its Department in Leningrad. Today, that department has become a separate institute, called the St. Petersburg Department of Steklov Institute of Mathematics of Russian Academy of Sciences or PDMI RAS, located in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The name St. Petersburg Department is misleading, however, because the St. Petersburg Department is now an independent institute.

Directors

Image Name Timespan
Nikolay Bogolyubov (1983–1988)
Vasilii Vladimirov (1988–1993)
Yury Osipov (1993–2004)
Valery V. Kozlov (2004–present)

In 1966, the Moscow-based Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics (Russian: Институт прикладной математики им. М.В.Келдыша) split off from the Steklov Institute.

External links

  • Steklov Mathematical Institute
  • Petersburg Department of Steklov Institute of Mathematics

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.