World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Stephenville Air Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030811761
Reproduction Date:

Title: Stephenville Air Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 37th Air Division, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, 4722d Air Defense Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Stephenville Air Station

Stephenville Air Station
Part of Pinetree Line
Newfoundland, Canada
Emblem of the 640th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Coordinates
Type Radar Station
Code N-23
Site information
Controlled by Northeast Air Command
Aerospace Defense Command
Site history
Built 1952
Built by United States Air Force
In use 1952-1971
Garrison information
Occupants teletype com.
Stephenville AS is located in Newfoundland and Labrador
Stephenville AS
Stephenville AS
Location of Stephenville, Newfoundland

Stephenville Air Station (ADC ID: N-23, C-23) is a closed General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 5.9 miles (9.5 km) west-northwest of Stephenville, Newfoundland and Labrador. It was closed in 1971.

History

The site was established in 1951 as a General Surveillance Radar station, funded by the United States Air Force, one of the many that would make up the Pinetree Line of Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) radar sites.

It was activated by the Northeast Air Command which stationed the Federalized Air National Guard 105th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron at Stephenville Air Station on 19 January 1952. It operated the following radars:

As a GCI base, the 105th's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. These interceptors were assigned to the 64th Air Division at Goose AFB, Labrador. On 1 August 1953, the Air National Guard squadron was released from active service, and the unit was replaced by the 640th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, which assumed its personnel and equipment. The station was given designation "N-23" (later "C-23").

The station was reassigned to the USAF Air Defense Command on 1 April 1957. In 1963, the site was connected to the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) Direction Center (DC-31) at Goose AFB, and the site was upgraded to an AN/FPS-93A, AN/FPS-90 and AN/FPS-6B radars.

On 30 June 1971, the USAF transferred control of the site to the Canadian Forces. It was inactivated and has stood vacant ever since.

USAF units and assignments

Units:

  • Activated as the 105th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron at Newark Municipal Airport, New Jersey, by December 1950.
Federalized in August 1951 and moved to Otis AFB, Massachusetts
Moved to Grenier AFB, New Hampshire on 1 September 1951
Moved to Stephenville Air Station on 19 January 1952
Inactivated and returned to Air National Guard control on 1 August 1953
  • Activated as the 640th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron Stephenville Air Station 1 August 1953
Inactivated 30 June 1971

Assignments:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.