World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Stockport, Timperley and Altrincham Junction Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0013230658
Reproduction Date:

Title: Stockport, Timperley and Altrincham Junction Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, Timperley, Cheshire Lines Committee, Altrincham Interchange, Stockport and Woodley Junction Railway, Cheadle North railway station, Skelton Junction
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Stockport, Timperley and Altrincham Junction Railway

Stockport, Timperley and Altrincham Junction Railway

The Stockport, Timperley and Altrincham Junction Railway was authorised by an Act passed 22 July 1861 to build a railway from Stockport on the Stockport and Woodley Junction Railway (ST&AJ) to Broadheath on the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) owned Warrington & Stockport Railway and to Timperley on the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway (MSJAR). The line would be 8 miles 17 chains (13.2 km) in length.

Joint committee

The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR) and the Great Northern Railway (GNR) subscribed equally to finance the building of the railway. Together the MS&LR and GNR formed a joint committee to operate the railway along with three others. This eventually led to the formation of the Cheshire Lines Committee in 1865.

Opening and operations

The ST&AJR opened from Portwood, east of Stockport, to Deansgate Junction, on the MSJAR, on 1 December 1865 with the section from Skelton Junction to Broadheath Junction, on the LNWR Warrington and Stockport Railway, opening on 1 February 1866.

A new station Stockport Tiviot Dale was opened. This station remained in use until closure on 2 January 1967. Other stations opened in early 1866 were at Cheadle, Northenden and Baguley.

The ST&AJR served as a very useful avoiding line to the south of Manchester and carried a very heavy freight traffic which funnelled in from several routes from the East Midlands and Yorkshire to south Lancashire and Cheshire. This required hard working of the steam locomotives by their crews to clear the bottleneck stretch of line for the following trains.

Modern times

Having seen no passenger trains for many years, they were re-introduced when Manchester's tram network, Metrolink, took over the direct Manchester to Altrincham line (ex-MSJAR). Trains from Manchester to points beyond Altrincham now travel via Stockport over this line which today forms part of the Mid-Cheshire Line. The intermediate stations have not been re-opened.



References

  • Griffiths, R.P., The Cheshire Lines Railway, The Oakwood Press, 1947.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.