World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Suicide Hill Ski Jump

Article Id: WHEBN0024441411
Reproduction Date:

Title: Suicide Hill Ski Jump  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Ishpeming, Michigan, Copper Peak, Pine Mountain Ski Jump
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Suicide Hill Ski Jump

Suicide Hill Ski Jump is a 90 meter ski jump located in Negaunee, Michigan, and is part of the Ishpeming Ski Club. It is one of three major ski jumps located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (the others being Copper Peak and Pine Mountain Ski Jump). Suicide Hill has been in existence since 1925. Suicide Hill Ski Jump is located in a small valley known as Suicide Bowl. Suicide Bowl contains a total of five jumps, a 13 meter, 25 meter, 40 meter, 60 meter, and Suicide Hill at 90 meters. The 13 meter and 40 meter jumps are fitted with plastic for summer jumping, with all five being utilized in winter. There are also cross country ski runs located in Suicide Bowl.



Specifications

HS 96

  • Scaffold Height: 140 ft
  • Hill Size: HS 96
  • K-point: 90 meters
  • Angle of take-off: 11.5 degrees
  • Landing angle: 36.5 degrees
  • Year of construction: 1925

HS 66

  • Hill Size: HS 66
  • K-point: 60 meters
  • Year of Construction: 1925[1]

History

Before the construction of the jump in 1925, numerous other hills and jumps were used for competitions. The first competition that took place in Ishpeming, Michigan was on February 25, 1882. Since 1887, an annual competition has taken place in the area. On February 26, 1926, Suicide Hill was opened for its first competition. The name "Suicide Hill" was given by a local newspaper reporter named Ted Butler after jumper Walter "Huns" Anderson was injured in 1926.[2] Due to this long history of ski jumping in the area, the National Ski Hall of Fame is located in Ishpeming.

Current records

Notes

Further reading

Coordinates: 46°28′56″N 87°37′36″W / 46.48222°N 87.62667°W / 46.48222; -87.62667

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.