World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Teddington Lock Footbridges

Teddington Lock Footbridge (West)
The western suspension bridge
Carries Footpath
Crosses River Thames
Locale Teddington
Characteristics
Design Suspension
Material Iron
History
Designer G. Pooley
Teddington Lock Footbridge (East)
The eastern girder bridge
Characteristics
Design Truss bridge
Material Iron
Height 18 feet 4 inches (5.59 m)[1]
History
Designer G. Pooley

Teddington Lock Footbridge consists of two separate bridges across the River Thames in England situated just upstream of Teddington Lock at Teddington. There is a small island between the bridges.

The two footbridges were built between 1887 and 1889, funded by donations from local residents and businesses. They replaced a ferry which gave its name to Ferry Road at Teddington. The western bridge consists of a suspension bridge crossing the weir stream and linking the island to Teddington. The eastern bridge is an iron girder bridge crossing the lock cut and linking the island to Ham on the Surrey bank.

In recent years wooden ramps have been added to the approach to the bridge on the Ham side and to the middle part on the small island so that cycles and pushchairs etc. can avoid the steps up to and down from that section of the bridge.

From this point downstream the Thames Path runs on both sides of the river and upstream it runs on the Surrey side only.

See also

References

  1. ^ River Thames Alliance. Bridge heights on the River Thames.

External links

  • Ham Photos blog - photos of Teddington Lock Footbridge with brief descriptions
Next crossing upstream River Thames Next crossing downstream
Kingston Railway Bridge (railway) Teddington Lock Footbridges Hammerton's Ferry (pedestrian)
Next crossing upstream Thames Path Next crossing downstream
southern bank
Kingston Bridge
Teddington Lock Footbridges both banks
all crossings to the Thames Barrier

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.