World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Terra Cotta, California

Article Id: WHEBN0021346491
Reproduction Date:

Title: Terra Cotta, California  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Riverside County, California, Lake Elsinore, California, History of Riverside County, California, Leon, California, Linda Rosa, California
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Terra Cotta, California

Terra Cotta
Unincorporated area
Terra Cotta is located in California
Terra Cotta
Terra Cotta
Location within the state of California
Coordinates:
Country United States
State California
County Riverside
Time zone Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
 • Summer (DST) PDT (UTC-7)

Terra Cotta, California is a former mining town in Riverside County. It was established in 1887, in the Warm Springs Valley northwest of the town of Lake Elsinore, and later incorporated into the City of Lake Elsinore.

Coal, along with clay deposits, was found on the site by John D. Huff in the late 1880s, and the Southern California Coal and Clay Company was formed to mine them. The town site of Terra Cotta was laid out and was given a post office on October 26, 1887. In May 1893 its post office was closed and moved to Lake Elsinore. A plant for the manufacture of sewer and water pipes was built using the coal to fire ceramic pipes in the four kilns. The finished product had to be shipped by wagon six miles through Lake Elsinore to the La Laguna rail station at the mouth of Railroad Canyon until 1896 when a spur line was built through Lake Elsinore and Terra Cotta to the new clay deposits in Alberhill. The coal mined was also used locally as fuel for the stamping mill at the Good Hope Mine and was shipped elsewhere in the state.

Almost abandoned in 1901, Terra Cotta was revived in 1906 when the California Fireproof Construction Company built a new plant there to make ceramic pipes. In 1912, the plant was closed; by 1925, it was closed down, along with most of the buildings in the town. The clay mine in the town site continued to be operated by the Pacific Clay Products Company until 1940, when they transferred all their operations to Alberhill.

An old grid of dirt streets laid out through the sagebrush is all that remains of Terra Cotta. It can be accessed from Lakeshore Drive by Terra Cotta Road or from the I-15 freeway by Nichols Road.

References

  • Tom Hudson, Lake Elsinore Valley, its story 1776–1977, Published for Lake Elsinore Valley Bicentennial Commission by Laguna House, 1978. ISBN 978-0931700019 OCLC 4496730
  • U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Terra Cotta

External links

  • Satellite map of Terra Cotta
  • Information and a listing of the only remains as "Location and dirt streets"
  • Article with images of the dirt and sagebrush where Terra Cotta once was
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.