World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Texarkana Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030431194
Reproduction Date:

Title: Texarkana Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, 4722d Air Defense Group, Elliston Ridge Air Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Texarkana Air Force Station

Texarkana Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Texarkana AFS is located in Arkansas
Texarkana AFS
Texarkana AFS
Location of Texarkana AFS, Texas
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1955
In use 1955-1968
Garrison information
Garrison 703d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 703d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Texarkana Air Force Station (ADC ID: M-91, NORAD ID: Z-91) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 2.4 miles (3.9 km) east-northeast of Texarkana, Arkansas. It was closed in 1968.

History

Texarkana Air Force Station was part of the planned deployment by Air Defense Command of forty-four Mobile radar Texarkana across the United States to support the permanent Radar network established during the Cold War for air defense of the United States. In addition, it provided radar coverage for the Strategic Air Command base at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. This deployment had been projected to be operational by mid-1952. Funding, constant site changes, construction, and equipment delivery delayed deployment.

On 1 July 1955 the 703d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operations at Texarkana, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

By 1958 the 703rd was using AN/FPS-20 and AN/MPS-14 sets. In 1960 this site was also performing air traffic control duties for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). By 1966, the search radar was upgraded to an AN/FPS-91A set. On 31 July 1963, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-91

The Air Force inactivated the 703rd on 8 September 1968 with the closure of Texarkana Air Force Station due to the perceived remote threat of an aircraft attack. Today it is used as part of Texarkana Regional Airport. Most USAF buildings are still intact.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • 703d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated at Oklahoma City AFS, OK (P-86), 1 December 1953 (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Texarkana AFS on 1 July 1955
Discontinued and inactivated on 8 September
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.