Théâtre royal du Parc

Théâtre Royal du Parc
Parktheater
Address Rue de la Loi 3
City Brussels B-1000
Country  Belgium
Architect Louis Montoyer
Opened 1782
Years active 1782-1807
1814-
Website
http://www.theatreduparc.be/

The Théâtre Royal du Parc (French), Parktheater (Dutch) is a theatre at 3, Rue de la Loi in Brussels, on the edge of the Brussels Park facing the Federal Parliament. Its nearest Metro stations are the Arts-Loi/Kunst-Wet metro station and the Park metro station.

History

Built in 1782 to plans by the architect Louis Montoyer, the Théâtre du Parc was at first an annexe to the Théâtre de la Monnaie : the brothers Alexandre and Herman Bultos exploited the two theatres at the same time, with the Parc used for plays featuring young actors, as a sort of drama school for La Monnaie. It was closed in 1807 by Napoleon's decree on the theatres, but re-opened in 1814 and was occupied by a British company for a year then a Dutch company for a few months.

From 1819, the City of Brussels, owner of these two "Royal Theatres", granted a concession to one director after another. The company and repertoire were identical yet distinct, with the Théâtre du Parc specialising in vaudeville and théâtre de boulevard.

From 1850 to 1854, the Parc hosted Dutch productions, then specialised in operetta and opéra-comique, and finally (from 1869) in comedies. During the First World War both theatres were requisitioned and the Parc became a playhouse for the German garrison. Returning to Francophone theatre in 1919, it put on classic pieces featuring Belgian actors. Its present director is Yves Larec.

External links

  • Official site

Coordinates: 50°50′45″N 4°21′56″E / 50.84578°N 4.36548°E / 50.84578; 4.36548

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.