World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

The Monklands

Article Id: WHEBN0004112773
Reproduction Date:

Title: The Monklands  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Monklands, Government Houses in Canada, Burning of the Parliament Buildings in Montreal
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

The Monklands

For other uses, see Villa Maria.


Villa Maria is a private Catholic girls' high school in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It was founded in 1854 and offers both a francophone and an anglophone stream.

The central part of the Villa Maria school is known as the Monklands Mansion, and it was the home of the Governor General of Canada from 1844 to 1849. It is a National Historic Site of Canada.[1][2]

Monklands

In 1795, James Monk, Chief Justice of Lower Canada, purchased an estate in Montreal that had previously belonged to the Décarie family. The first Monk residence, built in 1803, was the central section of the present-day Villa Maria.

Sir James Monk willed the property known as ‘Monklands’ to his niece, Elizabeth Ann Monk. In 1844, the family leased Monklands to the Crown as a residence for the Governors General of Canada. Modifications were made to create a more imposing residence.

Three Governors General, Sir Charles Metcalfe, Lord Cathcart and Lord Elgin, resided at Monklands. After Lord Elgin signed a bill that would help the French population (innocent French people's homes were burnt down and ravaged during British raids and Lord Elgin wanted to grant them money and necessary house objects so they could rebuilt their homes), the British nobility came to burn down Lord Elgin's home, which at the time was what we know today as Villa Maria. However, because this year in 1849 Lady Elgin was bearing a child, the rebels decided to burn down the government building in Montreal instead. Shortly after, Lady Elgin gave birth to a son Victor Bruce, the future Viceroy of India, in a second floor room overlooking the driveway. When the Governor Generals' presence were no longer needed in Montreal, due to the displacement of the Government building, Monklands was sold, and turned into a country hotel for five years.

Monklands is one of the oldest remaining Palladian-style villas in Canada. Because of its excellent state of conservation and the historic importance of its various occupants, it was declared a National Historic Site in 1951.

School

The third phase of the building’s history began in 1854 when the Congrégation de Notre-Dame purchased the estate to open a boarding school. They called it Villa Maria. Although some people believe the name is Latin for Ville Marie, which was Montreal's original name when first settled, it actually translates to "House of Mary". The school stopped boarding students in 1966 and now services young women of Montreal, and surrounding areas from the ages 12–17 (or grades 7-11 according to Quebec Education levels).

Villa-Maria metro station is named for the school.

References

External links

  • Villa Maria's home page

Coordinates: 45°28′50″N 73°37′12″W / 45.48056°N 73.62000°W / 45.48056; -73.62000

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.