World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Theodoros Vardinogiannis Stadium

Article Id: WHEBN0024292591
Reproduction Date:

Title: Theodoros Vardinogiannis Stadium  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Crete, Les Shannon, Karaiskakis Stadium
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Theodoros Vardinogiannis Stadium

Theodoros Vardinogiannis Stadium (Greek: Γήπεδο Θεόδωρος Βαρδινογιάννης) is a stadium in Heraklion, Crete, Greece. It was built in 1951 (not at its present state) as the home stadium of OFI Crete. The stadium is commonly known by its nickname, Yedi Kule ("Seven Towers" in Turkish).

History

The historic ground of OFI was constructed in 1951 and after the death of the historic leader of the club it was named "Theodoros Vardinoyannis". The opening of the stadium took place on November 11, 1951 with the football game of OFI Crete with the team of Α.Σ.Δ.Α.Ν. (English: A.S.D.A.N.) (something like the current national team) and the result was a defeat for OFI, 4-1, a result that had a little meaning compared with the benefits that the Cretan club had won. At last, the largest Cretan club acquired its own "home", that would roof all the faithful of the new football ideals developed in Iraklion, Crete.

The stadium was built on the ruins of a Christian and a Jewish cemetery and that in the area where the pitch is located, there were two big holes, remaining structures of German army guns from the World War II occupation.

Records

The stadium has a capacity of 8,500 fans, however many times the presence of the fans surpassed the number above. From 1980 to 2005 the stadium has held 380 matches. From 1979, the year when football in Greece became professional, the stadium has held 340 league games.

The highest attendance recorded at Yedi Kule is 12,391 for OFI's match against Olympiakos on September 25, 1988. For the record, OFI won the game 2-1.



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.