World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Thurnham, Lancashire

Article Id: WHEBN0020115178
Reproduction Date:

Title: Thurnham, Lancashire  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bank Houses, Glasson Dock, Bare, Morecambe, Poulton-le-Sands, Tunstall, Lancashire
Collection: Civil Parishes in Lancashire, Geography of Lancaster
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Thurnham, Lancashire

Thurnham

Glasson Dock
Thurnham is located in Lancashire
Thurnham
Thurnham
 Thurnham shown within Lancashire
Population 595 (2001)
OS grid reference
Civil parish Thurnham
District Lancaster
Shire county Lancashire
Region North West
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town LANCASTER
Postcode district LA2
Dialling code 01524
Police Lancashire
Fire Lancashire
Ambulance North West
EU Parliament North West England
UK Parliament Lancaster and Wyre
List of places
UK
England
Lancashire

Thurnham is a civil parish in Lancashire, England. It is situated on the south side of the River Lune estuary in the City of Lancaster, and contains the villages of Conder Green, Glasson Dock, Lower Thurnham and Upper Thurnham.[1] The parish has a population of 595.[2]

Thurnham is where the River Conder flows into the Lune. The main road through the parish is the A588. It was formerly served by the London and North Western Railway's Glasson Dock Branch railway line, which had three stations in the parish: one at Conder Green, the terminus at Glasson Dock and a private halt at Ashton Hall.

To the east of the village stands Thurnham Hall, a 17th-century Country house converted to a resort hotel. It was originally the residence of John Pierce Chamberlain Starkie (1830-1888).

References

  1. ^ "MARIO – Maps & Related Information Online".  
  2. ^ Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : LancasterOffice for National Statistics : Retrieved 16 February 2010


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.