World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Todd Shipyards

 

Todd Shipyards

Vigor Shipyards
Predecessor(s) Todd Pacific Shipyards
Founded
  • 1916 - William H. Todd Corporation
  • 2011 - Vigor Shipyards
Number of locations

4

Parent Vigor Industrial (2011)
Website


Vigor Shipyards (formerly Todd Shipyards) was founded in 1916 as the William H. Todd Corporation through the merger of Robins Dry Dock & Repair Company of Erie Basin, Brooklyn, New York, the Tietjen & Long Dry Dock Company of Hoboken, New Jersey, and the Seattle Construction and Dry Dock Company. The Seattle shipyard could trace its history back to 1882, when Robert Moran opened a marine repair shop at Yesler's Wharf. This shop became the Moran Brothers Shipyard in 1906 and the Seattle Construction & Dry Dock Company at the end of 1911.

Todd has performed building and maintenance work for, among others, the U.S. and Royal Australian Navies, the United States Coast Guard, and the Washington State Ferries. Its headquarters and operations are on Harbor Island at the mouth of Seattle's Duwamish Waterway. Todd ranked 26th among United States corporations in the value of World War II production contracts.[1]

The 105-foot-long (32 m) hull of Disneyland's Mark Twain riverboat was built at Todd Shipyards in San Pedro, California in 1955.

In February 2011, Vigor Industrial purchased Todd for US$130 million.[2] This included the Seattle, Everett and Bremerton operations. Today, Vigor Shipyards is a government repair subsidiary of Vigor Industrial.[3]

Locations[4]



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.