World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Topsham Air Force Station

Topsham Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Topsham AFS is located in Maine
Topsham AFS
Topsham AFS
Location of Topsham AFS, Maine
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1957
In use 1957-1969
Garrison information
Garrison Bangor Air Defense Sector
36th Air Division

Topsham Air Force Station is a closed United States Air Force station. It is located 2.1 miles (3.4 km) north of Brunswick, Maine. It was closed in 1969.

History

Topsham AFS was initially the headquarters of the Air Defense Command Bangor Air Defense Sector (BaADS), which was activated on 8 January 1957.

In 1958 a Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) Data Center (DC-05) was established at Topsham AFS. The SAGE system was a network linking Air Force (and later FAA) General Surveillance Radar stations into a centralized center for Air Defense, intended to provide early warning and response for a Soviet nuclear attack. A GATR site (R-25) was also constructed at Topsham as part of the 654th Radar Squadron at Brunswick AFS, but was reassigned to the BaADS at Topsham AFS when the 654th RADS was inactivated in 1965.

The BaADS was absorbed by the 36th Air Division, being moved to Topsham from Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona on 1 April 1966. DC-02 with its AN/FSQ-7 computer remained under the 34th AD until it, and the Air Division was inactivated on 30 September 1969 when technology advances allowed the Air Force to shut down many SAGE Data Centers.

With the inactivation of the 36th AD, the station and GATR site were closed. The former Topsham AFS is now an annex of the now-closed Naval Air Station Brunswick. The SAGE DC blockhouse was demolished in August 1985 and is now a recreation field.

Known ADCOM units assigned

  • [[36th
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.