World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Torre delle Milizie

Article Id: WHEBN0005550543
Reproduction Date:

Title: Torre delle Milizie  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Quirinal Hill, Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Conti di Segni, Trajan's Market, Torre dei Conti
Collection: Inclined Towers, Rome R. I Monti, Towers Completed in the 13Th Century, Towers in Rome
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Torre delle Milizie

The Torre delle Milizie before the demolition of the convent of St. Catherine at Magnanapoli.

The Torre delle Milizie ("Tower of the Militia") is a fortified tower in Rome, Italy, located between the Trajan's Market in the Imperial fora to the east and the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Angelicum to the west.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Architecture 2
  • See also 3
  • Sources 4

History

It gained the popular nickname of "Nero's Tower" from a tradition that it originated as an ancient Roman construction from which Emperor Nero watched the Great Fire of Rome – this is derived from the classical account that he watched from a tower in the Gardens of Maecenas, though more trustworthy accounts place him out of town, at Antium at the time.

The actual construction of the tower probably dates to the time of Pope Innocent III (1198–1216) under the Aretino family. At the end of the 13th century, the tower was a possession of the powerful Annibaldi family, who were followed by the Prefetti di Vico and by the Caetani, Pope Boniface VIII's family. Under the Caetani the fortified quarter was enlarged and strengthened, probably rivalling with Castel Sant'Angelo as Rome's main fortress. At the end of the 13th century When Henry VII of Luxembourg came to the city for his coronation as Holy Roman Emperor (May–June 1312), he chose the Torre delle Milizie as the base for his Guelph supporters. Twenty years later the tower was ceded to the Conti. During their ownership, Raphael, in his role as curator of the antiquities of the city, cited the tower as an example of an edifice built re-using antique parts. The Conti held the tower until 1619, when it was acquired by the nuns of the neighbouring convent (later demolished) of Santa Caterina a Magnanapoli.

In 1911, the tower was declared an Italian National Monument.

Architecture

One of the main medieval monuments of the city, the Torre delle Milizie is built on a square plan, its base sides measure 10.5 × 9.5 m. The original height of the tower is uncertain, but following the earthquake of 1348, the top two floors were demolished, reducing the structure to its present height of approximately 50 metres (160 ft). The 1348 earthquake also resulted in the slight tilting of the structure.

See also

Sources

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.