World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Two Creeks Air Force Station

Two Creeks Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Two Creeks AFS is located in Wisconsin
Two Creeks AFS
Two Creeks AFS
Location of Two Creeks AFS, Wisconsin
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1954
In use 1954–1957
Garrison information
Garrison 700th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 700th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Two Creeks Air Force Station (ADC ID: M-106) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 0.7 miles (1.1 km) north-northwest of Two Creeks, Wisconsin. It was closed in 1957.

History

Two Creeks Air Force Station was established in 1954 by Air Defense Command as one of a planned deployment of forty-four Mobile radar stations to support the permanent ADC Radar network in the United States sited around the perimeter of the country. This deployment was projected to be operational by mid-1952. Funding, constant site changes, construction, and equipment delivery delayed deployment.

This site became operational in December 1954 when the 700th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron (AC&W Sq) was moved to the new station from Willow Run AFS, Michigan. Operations began in early 1956, using an AN/TPS-1D medium-range search radar, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

Budget cuts closed the station on 30 November 1957 and the 700th AC&W Sq was inactivated. After its closure by the Air Force, the United States Army used Two Creeks AFS as a Nike Missile radar installation, operating an AN/FPS-36 search radar (modified AN/TPS-1D), designating the site as Tisch Mills, WI (CM-01R). The Army used the site briefly, then closed it in early 1959. The station was then transitioned into a "Gap Filler" unmanned site in August 1959 (P-19B), equipped with an AN/FPS-18 radar controlled by Antigo AFS, Wisconsin until June 1968.

While used as a trailer park for several years, in 2007, it was purchased by Paul Priester and is now an organic farm and orchard called Happy Destiny Farm, LLC.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • 700th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 1 December 1953 at Grenier AFB, NH (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Willow Run AFS, MI (not manned or equipped) on 1 April 1954
Moved to Two Creeks AFS on 1 December 1954
Inactivated on 30
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.