World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tytärsaari

Article Id: WHEBN0007635523
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tytärsaari  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Winter War, Moscow Peace Treaty, List of former municipalities of Finland, Background of the Winter War
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tytärsaari

Bolshoi Tyuters (Russian: Большой Тютерс; Finnish: Tytärsaari; Estonian: Suur Tütarsaar; Swedish: Tyterskär) is an island in the Gulf of Finland of the Baltic Sea, located 75 km away from the coast of Finland, to the south-east from Hogland. The island is a part of the Leningrad Oblast, Russia. The area is approximately 8.3 km². There are no permanent inhabitants, save for a lighthouse keeper.

History

From the 16th century to 1939, it was populated by Finns. After the Soviet Union had attacked Finland in the Winter War, the island along with other Finnish islands in the Gulf of Finland and communities in Finnish Karelia had to be ceded to Soviet Union 1940. It was a lively Finnish fisher and trading community with population 436 (1939). Many cargo and fishing ships were registered to the island. It had a 1772 built wooden church, Finnish graveyard, school, 1904 built lighthouse, Finnish Coast Guard station and weather forecast station. Tourism was growing livelihood in 1920-39. Islanders were among the Finnish evacuees. After the war they were not permitted to return to their homes like the rest of 422,000 Soviet evicted Finns. The name Tytärsaari means in Finnish - "Daughter Island" .

Bolshoi Tyuters has been known as the "mined island" because its minefields have not been cleared since World War II.

External links

  • (Russian) The Mined Island
  • (Finnish) The Map of Tytärsaari

Coordinates: 59°51′N 27°12′E / 59.850°N 27.200°E / 59.850; 27.200

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.