USS Advance (AMc-63)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Advance.
Career (US)
Ordered: as Aggressor
Builder: Greenport Basin and Construction Company
Laid down: 12 April 1941
Launched: 28 June 1941
In service: 10 October 1941
Out of service: 6 December 1945
Struck: 3 January 1946
Fate: scrapped, 3 March 1947
General characteristics
Displacement: 185 tons (188 t)
Length: 97 ft 1 in (29.59 m)
Beam: 22 ft 0 in (6.71 m)
Draft: 8 ft 6 in (2.59 m) (mean) (f.)
Speed: 10.0 knots
Complement: 17
Armament: two .50 cal. machine guns

USS Advance (AMc-63) was an Accentor-class coastal minesweeper acquired by the United States Navy for the task of removing mines from minefields laid in the water to prevent ships from passing.

The fifth ship to be named Advance by the Navy, AMc-63 was laid down on 12 April 1941 at Greenport, Long Island, New York, by the Greenport Basin and Construction Company as Aggressor; renamed Advance on 23 May 1941; launched on 28 June 1941; sponsored by Mary R. Gillespie; and placed in service at the New York Navy Yard on 10 October 1941, Lt. Walter E. Goering, USNR, in charge.

World War II service

The coastal minesweeper completed her outfitting at Brooklyn, New York, and moved south to Norfolk, Virginia. After mine detection and sweeping training under the auspices of the Naval Mine Warfare School at Yorktown, Virginia, Advance began operations with the forces assigned to the Commandant, 5th Naval District.

Based at Little Creek, Virginia, she served directly under the Commander, Inshore Patrol, 5th Naval District. That duty lasted until late May 1944 when she was reassigned to the 1st Naval District.

Advance operated along the New England coast until the middle of June 1945. At that time, she returned briefly to Norfolk before continuing on to Charleston, South Carolina, in July. There, the minesweeper reported to the Commandant, 6th Naval District, for disposition.

Post-war inactivation

On 6 December 1945, Advance was placed out of service and berthed in the Wando River. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946, and she was sold for scrapping on 3 March 1947 to Lloyd Lambert of Baltimore, Maryland.

See also

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

External links

  • Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
  • NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive – Advance (AMc 63) – ex-Aggressor
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.