USS Alecto (AGP-14)

Career (USA)
Name: USS Alecto (AGP-14)
Builder: Bethlehem-Hingham Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore, MD
Laid down: 12 December 1944
Launched: 15 January 1945
Commissioned: 8 February 1945
Recommissioned: 28 July 1945
Decommissioned: 28 June 1946
Struck: 28 June 1947
Fate: Transferred to Turkey, 10 May 1948, renamed TCG Onaran (A581)
General characteristics
Displacement: 4100 t
Length: 328 ft (100 m)
Beam: 50 ft (15 m)
Draft: 11 ft 2 in (3.40 m)
Propulsion: two General Motors 12-568A Diesel engines
single Falk Main Reduction Gears
Ship's Service Generators
two propellers, twin rudders, 1,800shp
Speed: 11.6 knots (21.5 km/h; 13.3 mph)
Complement: Officers 41
Enlisted 250
Armament:

two quad 40mm AA gun mounts

eight single 20mm AA gun mounts

Originally projected as LST-977, this vessel was reclassified a motor torpedo boat tender on 12 June 1944; simultaneously named Alecto and redesignated AGP-14; laid down on 12 December 1944 at Hingham, Massachusetts., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 15 January 1945; acquired by the Navy and placed in commission on 8 February 1945 for movement to Baltimore; decommissioned there on 23 February 1945 for conversion by the Maryland Drydock Co. to a motor torpedo boat tender; and recommissioned on 28 July 1945, Lt. Robert H. Souden in command.

The tender got underway on 6 August for shakedown training in the Chesapeake Bay and, on 2 September, was assigned to Service Forces, Atlantic Fleet. Following a period of training and upkeep at Norfolk, VA, she sailed for Albany, NY, on 14 October and arrived there two days later.

Alecto moored at the Army Supply Depot at Albany and began servicing motor torpedo boats. On 10 November, the ship moved to Melville, RI, and engaged in repair work for Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron (MTBRon) 4. In January 1946, she made two voyages from Melville to Solomons Island, transporting equipment for MTBRon 4 and, from March through May, she was stationed there. She sailed to Charleston, SC, in early June and was placed out of commission there on 28 June 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 June 1947. The vessel was transferred to the government of Turkey on 10 May 1948 and was later renamed Onaran.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Amphibious Photo Archive USS Alecto (AGP-14)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.