USS Amber

USS Amber (PYc-6)

USS Amber (PYc-6)
Career (United States of America)
Commissioned: 3 March 1941
Decommissioned: 18 October 1944
Struck: 13 November 1944
Fate: Sold to previous owner on 13 June 1945
General characteristics
Displacement: 260 t
Length: 120 ft (37 m)
Beam: 21 ft 5 in (6.53 m)
Draft: 10 ft 6 in (3.20 m)
Propulsion: 2 × 275bhp Atlas diesel engines
twin shafts
Speed: 12.5 knots (23.2 km/h; 14.4 mph)
Armament: 1 × forward mounted 3 inch gun
2 × rear-facing depth charge tracks

USS Amber (PYc-6) was a patrol boat in the United States Navy.

Amber started life as the yacht Infanta built for the actor John Barrymore, but was later sold and renamed Polaris. She was built in 1930 at Craig ship building in Long Beach California, purchased by the United States Navy from Edward and Kathryn Lowe on 23 December 1940, converted for naval service by the Winslow Marine Railway and Shipbuilding Co. Inc., Winslow, Washington; renamed Amber on 10 January 1941 and simultaneously designated PYc-6, and placed in commission at Seattle on 3 March 1941, Lt. W. B. Combs in command.

Amber was assigned to the Inshore Patrol of the 13th Naval District and, from May until early August, operated around Seattle, Tacoma, and Port Townsend, Washington. The patrol craft left Seattle on 6 August on a cruise to Alaska, and visited Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka, before returning to Seattle early in September.

In November, Amber was assigned to patrol duty at Astoria, Oregon, and patrolled the Strait of Juan de Fuca off Neah Bay, Washington, under the control of the Northwest Sea Frontier Patrol Group.

Amber was decommissioned on 18 October 1944 and her name was struck from the Navy list on 13 November 1944. The ship was sold back to her former owners on 13 June 1945.

Later the boat was acquired by the Foss Towing Company, Seattle (later name changed to Foss Maritime), and renamed MY Thea Foss.

See also

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS Amber at NavSource Naval History

This article incorporates text from the here.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.