USS Chimango (AMc-42)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Chimango.
Career (US)
Laid down: date unknown
Launched: 8 March 1941
Commissioned: 3 June 1941
Decommissioned: 15 June 1942
In service: 15 June 1942
Out of service: 20 December 1945
Struck: date unknown
Fate: transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 21 August 1947
General characteristics
Displacement: 205 tons
Length: 97 ft 5 in (29.69 m)
Beam: 22 ft 5 in (6.83 m)
Draft: 8 ft 11 in (2.72 m)
Speed: 10.0 knots
Complement: 17
Armament: two .50 cal. machine guns

USS Chimango (AMc-42) was an Accentor-class coastal minesweeper acquired by the U.S. Navy for the dangerous task of removing mines from minefields laid in the water to prevent ships from passing.

The first ship to be named Chimango by the Navy, AMC-42 was launched 8 March 1941 by Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Jacksonville, Florida, and commissioned 3 June 1941, Ensign J. T. G. Nichols, USNR, in command.

World War II service

Chimango had training at Mine Warfare Base, Yorktown, Virginia, until 26 July 1941 when she rendezvoused with USS Goldfinch (AM-77) and USS Jacamar (AMc-47) to sail to Argentia, Newfoundland.

From 2 August she operated off this new base laying buoys, taking part in minesweeping exercises, and recovering gear in Placentia Bay, until 5 October when she sailed for Casco Bay, Maine, and sweeping operations and patrols along the Maine coast. She also received aboard daily armed guard parties from merchant ships for instruction.

Inservice activities

On 15 June 1942 she was decommissioned but placed in service, and continued to operate on minesweeping and patrol duty at New York and Charleston, South Carolina, until 20 December 1945.

Deactivation

She was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 21 August 1947.

See also

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

External links

  • Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
  • NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive - Chimango (AMc 42)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.