World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Crag (AM-214)

Article Id: WHEBN0012280608
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Crag (AM-214)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Sentinel (AM-412), USS Reign (AM-288), USAS Report (AGP-289), Soviet minesweeper T-119, Soviet minesweeper T-111
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Crag (AM-214)

Career (United States)
Name: USS Craig (AM-214)
Builder: Tampa Shipbuilding Company, Tampa, Florida
Laid down: 7 December 1942
Launched: 21 March 1943
Sponsored by: Mrs. Q. Abercrombie-St. John
Renamed: USS Crag (AM-214), 3 August 1944
Commissioned: 1 August 1945
Decommissioned: 19 March 1948
Reclassified: MSF-214, 7 February 1955
Fate: Transferred to Mexican Navy, 1962
Career (Mexico)
Name: ARM DM-15
Acquired: 1962
Fate: unknown
General characteristics
Class & type: Admirable-class minesweeper
Displacement: 650 long tons (660 t)
Length: 184 ft 6 in (56.24 m)
Beam: 33 ft (10 m)
Draft: 9 ft 9 in (2.97 m)
Propulsion: 2 × ALCO 539 diesel engines, 1,710 shp (1,280 kW)
Farrel-Birmingham single reduction gear
2 shafts
Speed: 15 knots (28 km/h)
Complement: 104
Armament: 1 × 3"/50 caliber (76 mm) DP gun
2 × twin Bofors 40 mm guns
1 × Hedgehog anti-submarine mortar
2 × Depth charge tracks
Service record
Part of: U.S. Pacific Fleet (1945–1946)
U.S. Atlantic Fleet (1946–1948)
Mexican Navy (1962–2000)
Awards: 1 Battle star

USS Crag (AM-214) was an Admirable-class minesweeper built for the United States Navy during World War II. She was originally ordered, laid down, and launched as USS Craig (AM-214), but was renamed Crag in August 1944. She was awarded one battle star for service in the Pacific sweeping mines after the end of World War II. She was decommissioned in March 1948 and placed in reserve. While she remained in reserve, Crag was reclassified as MSF-214 in February 1955 but never reactivated. In 1962, she was sold to the Mexican Navy and renamed ARM DM-15. Her ultimate fate is not reported in secondary sources.

U.S. Navy career

Initially named Craig, the ship was launched on 21 March 1943 by sponsor Mrs. Q. Abercrombie-St. John at Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc., of Tampa, Florida. The spelling of the ship's name was changed to Crag on 3 August 1944. She was completed at the Charleston Navy Yard and commissioned on 1 August 1945, with Lieutenant G. W. Jarden, USNR, in command.

Crag served with the Naval Mine Warfare Test Station, Solomons Island, Maryland, until 17 December 1945 when she sailed upriver to Washington, D.C., for leave and upkeep. On 4 January 1946 she sailed for the west coast arriving at San Pedro, California, 3 February. She remained there until 21 March when she sailed to Hong Kong, calling at Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and Guam on her outward bound passage. She swept mines in the East Hainan Straits until 16 June when she cleared Hong Kong, returning to San Francisco, California, 14 August.

Reassigned to the Atlantic Fleet, Crag sailed from San Francisco, California, 4 October 1946 and arrived at Charleston, South Carolina, 3 November for overhaul. From 9 February 1947 to 26 May she served at the U.S. Navy Mine Countermeasures Station at Panama City, Florida, and after overhaul, joined in exercises in Chesapeake Bay from 13 October to 28 November. On 2 December she sailed from Charleston and visited New Orleans, Louisiana, from 8 December to 20 December before reporting to Orange, Texas, 22 December. There Crag was placed out of commission in reserve 19 March 1948. She was sold to Mexico in 1962. Crag received one battle star for her post-World War II minesweeping. In 1962, Crag was sold to Mexico.

Mexican Navy career

The former Crag was acquired by the Mexican Navy in October 1962 and renamed ARM DM-15. Her ultimate fate is not reported in secondary sources.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of Crag at NavSource Naval History
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.