World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS General Grant

Article Id: WHEBN0014444026
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS General Grant  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Naval History Society
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS General Grant


General Grant in 1864
Career (US)
Laid down: date unknown
Launched: 1863
Acquired: 20 July 1864
Commissioned: 20 July 1864
Decommissioned: 2 June 1865
Struck: 1865 (est.)
Fate: returned to the War Department
2 June 1865
General characteristics
Displacement: 201 tons
Length: 171'
Beam: 26'
Draught: depth of hold 4' 9"
Propulsion: steam engine
side wheel-propelled
Speed: not known
Complement: not known
Armament: two 30-pounder guns
two 24-pounder howitzers

USS General Grant (1863) was a Steamship chartered from the U.S. War Department by the Union Navy during the American Civil War. She was used by the Navy as a gunboat in waterways of the Confederate South.

Constructed in Pennsylvania in 1863

General Grant was built in 1863 at Monongahela, Pennsylvania; purchased by the War Department; chartered by the Navy and commissioned at Bridgeport, Alabama, 20 July 1864, Acting Master Joseph Watson in command.

Patrolling the Tennessee River

General Grant constantly patrolled the upper Tennessee River from Bridgeport until close of the Civil War, fighting guerrillas and aiding the Union Army in clearing Confederate troops from the region.

River operations under fire

In October 1864 she destroyed 22 small boats off Port Deposit and Crow Island. On 25 November she assisted in taking up pontoon bridges under guns of Confederate sharpshooters at Decatur, Alabama. She hurled 52 shells into that town 12 December 1864 and joined USSĀ General Thomas 15 January 1865 in the destructive bombardment of Guntersville, Alabama.

Post-war decommissioning, sale, and subsequent career

She decommissioned and was returned to the War Department 2 June 1865. She was lost when stranded in ice 18 March 1866 at Plattsmouth, Nebraska.

References

This article incorporates text from the here.

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.