World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Glide (1862)

Article Id: WHEBN0003818108
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Glide (1862)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Glide, USS Abraham (1858), Shipwrecks in rivers, Ship fires, Ships of the Union Navy
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Glide (1862)

History
United States Navy Jack
Name: USS Glide
Launched: 1862
Acquired: 17 November 1862
Commissioned: 3 December 1862
Fate: burned, 7 February 1863
General characteristics
Type: Gunboat
Displacement: 137 long tons (139 t)
Propulsion:
Armament: 6 × 24 pdr (11 kg) howitzers

The first USS Glide was a sternwheel tinclad gunboat in the United States Navy during the American Civil War.

Glide originally built in Shousetown, Pennsylvania in 1862 and purchased by Rear Admiral David Dixon Porter at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on 17 November 1862. She was taken to Cairo, Illinois for fitting out and commissioned on 3 December 1862, Acting Lieutenant Selim E. Woodworth in command.

After fitting out, Glide departed on 3 January 1863 for the lower Mississippi River as part of the Mississippi Squadron. She participated in the fierce engagement at Fort Hindman, or Arkansas Post, 11 January as part of the division of light-draft gunboats under the overall command of Lieutenant Commander Watson Smith. As army forces launched the assault, Glide and the other gunboats helped to silence the powerful batteries. She passed the fort under heavy fire and proceeded upstream to cut off possible escape routes for the garrison.

After aiding in the important victory at Fort Hindman, helping to open the White River, Glide served briefly there as a gunboat and supply ship until she was sent to Cairo for repairs in early February 1863. While she was repairing there on 7 February 1863, an unexplained fire broke out forward and within a few minutes the tinclad was entirely destroyed.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.