USS Glover (AGER-163)


USS Glover (FF-1098) underway
Career (USA)
Name: USS Glover (FF-1098)
Namesake: John Glover
Awarded: 28 June 1961
Builder: Bath Iron Works
Laid down: 29 July 1963
Launched: 17 April 1965
Commissioned: 13 November 1965
Decommissioned:

15 June 1990

Ship transferred to Military Sealift Command as a research vessel
Struck: 20 November 1992
Fate: Sold for scrap 15 April 1994
General characteristics as (AGDE-1)
Class & type:
Displacement: 3,426 tons
Length: 414 ft 6 in (126.34 m)
Beam: 44 ft 1 in (13.44 m)
Draft: 24 ft 2 in (7.37 m)
Speed: 27.5 knots
Complement: 239+12 FAST Co.Marines for security detail
Sensors and
processing systems:
Sonar AN/SQS-26AXR, AN/SQS-35 IVDS. Test platform for LFAS and RMASS Sonars
Armament: 2 triple mount Mk32 SVTT torpedo tubes,1 Mk30 5" 38 cal main gun,1 Mk16 ASROC Anti-submarine Rocket launcher

USS Glover (FF-1098) was a originally modified for research use and commissioned as (AGDE-1) on 3 November 1965, with Commander William W. Wilson in command. Glover was laid down 29 July 1963 by the Bath Iron Works, in Bath, Maine and launched on 17 April 1965 with sponsors Mrs. William S. Pederson, Sr., and Mrs. Claude V. Signer, great-great-great-granddaughters of General John Glover.

Fitted out with advanced sonar and antisubmarine weapons, Glover was designed to serve as an experimental research escort for developing and testing the latest antisubmarine weapons systems. As a research ship, she tested equipment designed to more readily detect and track enemy submarines, and evaluated tactics and procedures which were used on future classes of escorts. Capable of participating in offensive operations against submarines, she provided support for hunter killer groups, amphibious forces, and ocean convoys.

Glover joined the US Atlantic Fleet in 1966 as a unit of Cruiser-Destroyer Forces and operated along the Atlantic Coast and in the Caribbean.

[1966-1974]

In September 1974 she entered Boston Naval Shipyard for modifications.

[1974-1994]

Glover was redesignated (AGFF-1) in 1975, and redesignated (FF-1098) in 1979. Glover went through a major overhaul at South Boston Shipyard in 1988, getting a boiler refit and new sonar overhaul. She was transferred to MSC as a research vessel for EDO Corp and NUSC in 1990 and reclassified as T-AGFF 1. She was scrapped in 1994.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • This article includes information collected from the here.



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.