USS Goliah

Career (United States)
Name: USS Goliah
Namesake: Previous name retained
Builder: John H. Dialogue and Sons, Camden, New Jersey
Completed: 1907
Acquired: 6 December 1917
Commissioned: 31 January 1918
Decommissioned: 29 November 1919
Fate: Loaned to United States Shipping Board 30 November 1919
Transferred to United States Shipping Board 7 October 1921
Notes: Operated as commercial tug SS Goliah 1907-1917 and from 1919
General characteristics
Type: Tug and patrol vessel
Tonnage: 414 tons
Length: 135 ft (41 m)
Beam: 27 ft 1 in (8.26 m)
Draft: 16 ft (4.9 m)
Propulsion: Steam engine
Speed: 13 knots
Armament: 1 x 3-inch (76.2-millimeter) gun
2 x machine guns
For USS Goliath, see USS Catskill (1862).

USS Goliah (SP-1494), also listed as ID-1494, was an armed tug that served in the United States Navy as a patrol vessel and tug from 1918 to 1919.

SS Goliah was built as a commercial tug in 1907 by John H. Dialogue and Sons at Camden, New Jersey. The Navy purchased her from her owners, the Puget Sound Tug Company of Seattle, Washington, on 6 December 1917 for World War I service. She was commissioned as USS Goliah (SP-1494) on 31 January 1918 at Mare Island Navy Yard at Vallejo, California, with Lieutenant Werner Tornroth, USNRF, in command.

Following shakedown, Goliah towed coal barges between San Diego, California; Mare Island Navy Yard; and San Pedro, California, until 3 March 1918, when she departed San Diego for the United States East Coast. She arrived at Norfolk, Virginia, on 8 April 1918 and during the next month made four voyages between New London, Connecticut, and New York City with stores and ammunition. After a voyage to Bermuda and the Azores between 18 May 1918 and 24 June 1918 as an escort tug, she arrived at New York City for overhaul, where she stayed until 8 August 1918. She then briefly served at New London as a patrol craft.

Departing New London on 6 September 1918, Goliah operated as a towing ship between São Miguel Island[1] in the Azores, Bermuda, and New London until arriving at Brest, France on 26 November 1918. There she took up new duties as a rescue and towing tug for convoys operating out of Brest to English ports and occasionally to Copenhagen, Denmark, and Lisbon, Portugal, until she arrived back at Brest on 24 April 1919.

Goliah performed harbor towing work at Brest until she was decommissioned on 29 November 1919.

The U.S. Navy loaned Goliah to the United States Shipping Board on 30 November 1919 and transferred her to the Shipping Board's permanent custody and control on 7 October 1921.

Notes

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive Goliah (SP 1494)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.