USS Granite State

For other ships of the same name, see USS New Hampshire.

USS New Hampshire housed over
Career (US)
Laid down: June 1819
Launched: 23 April 1864 at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
Commissioned: 13 May 1864
Out of service: 23 May 1921
Struck: 1921 (est.)
Fate: burned, 23 May 1921
sunk under tow, July 1922
General characteristics
Displacement: 2,633 long tons (2,675 t)
Length: 203.7 ft (62.1 m)
Beam: 51.3 ft (15.6 m)
Draft: 21 ft 6 in (6.55 m)
Propulsion: Sail
Speed: Unknown
Complement: 820 officers and men
Armament: 4 × 100-pounder Parrott rifles, 6 × 9 in (230 mm) Dahlgren guns
The New Hampshire
USS New Hampshire (1864)
Nearest city Portsmouth, New Hampshire

43°4′18″N 70°45′47″W / 43.07167°N 70.76306°W / 43.07167; -70.76306Coordinates: 43°4′18″N 70°45′47″W / 43.07167°N 70.76306°W / 43.07167; -70.76306

Area 9350 mi. sq.
Built 1819
Architect Doughty,William
NRHP Reference # 76000261[1]
Added to NRHP 29 October 1976

USS New Hampshire (1864) was a heavy (2,633 long tons (2,675 t)) ship originally designed to be the 74-gun ship of the line Alabama, but she remained on the stocks for nearly 40 years, well into the age of steam, before being renamed and launched as a storeship and depot ship during the American Civil War. She was later renamed to USS Granite State.

As Alabama, she was one of "nine ships to rate not less than 74 guns each" authorized by Congress on 29 April 1816, and was laid down by the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Maine, in June 1819, the year the State of Alabama was admitted to the Union. Though ready for launch by 1825, she remained on the stocks for preservation; an economical measure that avoided the expense of manning and maintaining a ship of the line.

Launched for duty in the Civil War

Renamed New Hampshire on 28 October 1863, she was launched on 23 April 1864, fitted out as a storeship and depot ship of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and commissioned on 13 May 1864, Commodore Henry K. Thatcher in command.

New Hampshire sailed from Portsmouth, New Hampshire on 15 June and relieved sister ship Vermont on 29 July 1864 as store and depot ship at Port Royal, South Carolina, and served there through the end of the Civil War.

Post-Civil War service

She returned to Norfolk, Virginia on 8 June 1866, serving as a receiving ship there until 10 May 1876, when she sailed back to Port Royal. She resumed duty at Norfolk in 1881 but soon shifted to Newport, Rhode Island. She became flagship of Commodore Stephen B. Luce's newly formed Apprentice Training Squadron, marking the commencement of an effective apprentice training program for the Navy. Four of New Hampshire's crewmen earned the Medal of Honor for jumping overboard to rescue fellow sailors from drowning in two separate 1882 incidents: Quartermaster Henry J. Manning and Ship's Printer John McCarton on 4 January 1882, and Boatswain's Mate James F. Sullivan and Chief Boatswain's Mate Jeremiah Troy on 21 April 1882.[2]

The New Hampshire was towed from Newport to New London, Connecticut in 1891 and was receiving ship there until decommissioned on 5 June 1892 as was described by Fred J. Buenzle, who had served aboard the New Hampshire, as noted in Bluejacket; An Autobiography, a part of the Classics Of Naval Literature series. The following year she was loaned as a training ship for the New York Naval Militia, which was to furnish nearly a thousand officers and men to the Navy during the Spanish-American War.

Renamed Granite State

New Hampshire was renamed Granite State on 30 November 1904 to free the name "New Hampshire" for a newly authorized battleship (New Hampshire (BB-25).

Stationed in the Hudson River, Granite State continued training service throughout the years leading to World War I when State naval militia were practically the only trained and equipped men available to the Navy for immediate service. They were mustered into the Navy as National Naval Volunteers. Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels wrote in his Our Navy at War:


Sinking after fire at New York pier

Granite State served the New York State Militia until she caught fire and sank at her pier in the Hudson River on 23 May 1921. Her hull was sold for salvage on 19 August to the Mulholland Machinery Corporation. Refloated in July 1922, she was taken in tow to the Bay of Fundy. The towline parted during a storm, she again caught fire and sank off Half Way Rock near Manchester-By-The-Sea, MA on 26 July.

The shipwreck is in 30 ft (9.1 m) of water, and is an easy scuba dive. Although the hull is mostly buried in the sand, small artifacts and copper spikes may still be found. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 29 October 1976, reference number 76000261.

See also


  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.