Uss H-8

USS H-8 underway, circa 1922
Name: USS H-8
Ordered: by the Imperial Russian Navy, 1915
Builder: Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington
Laid down: 25 May 1918
Launched: 14 November 1918
Commissioned: 18 November 1918
Decommissioned: 17 November 1922
Reclassified: SS-151, 15 July 1920
Struck: 26 February 1931
Fate: Sold for scrapping, 28 November 1933
General characteristics
Type: H-class submarine
Displacement: 358 long tons (364 t) surfaced
467 long tons (474 t) submerged
Length: 150 ft 4 in (45.82 m)
Beam: 15 ft 10 in (4.83 m)
Draft: 12 ft 5 in (3.78 m)
Depth of hold: 950 hp (710 kW) (diesel engines)
600 hp (450 kW) (electric motors)
Propulsion: 2 × New London Ship & Engine Co. diesel engines
2 × Electro Dynamic Co. electric motors
2 × shafts
Speed: 14 kn (16 mph; 26 km/h) surfaced
10.5 kn (12.1 mph; 19.4 km/h) submerged
Test depth: 200 ft (61 m)
Complement: 25 officers and men
Armament: 4 × 18 in (460 mm) torpedo tubes (8 × torpedoes)

USS H-8 (SS-151) was an H-class submarine that was on active duty with the United States Navy from 1918-1922.

The Imperial Russian Navy ordered 18 H-class submarines from the Electric Boat Company in 1915. Eleven were delivered, and served as the American Holland class submarines, but shipment of the final six was held up pending the outcome of the Russian Revolution of 1917, and the boats were stored in knockdown condition at Vancouver, British Columbia. All six were purchased by the U.S. Navy on 20 May 1918 and assembled at Puget Sound Navy Yard.

H-8 was launched on 14 November 1918, three days after the signing of the Armistice with Germany, and commissioned on 18 November 1918 with Lieutenant Commander Ralph W. Holt in command.

From there she sailed to San Pedro, California, where she was attached first to Submarine Divisions 6 and 7 (SubDivs 6 and 7). Operating with her sister ships, H-8 engaged in extensive battle and training exercises out of San Pedro, varying this routine with patrols off Santa Catalina Island.

In August 1919, H-8 played the part of U-98 in the silent film Behind the Door, which starred Wallace Beery, Jane Novak, and Hobart Bosworth.

In company with SubDivs 6 and 7, and tender Beaver, H-8 departed San Pedro on 25 July 1922 and arrived in Norfolk, Virginia on 14 September. She decommissioned there on 17 November. Her name was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 26 February 1931. She was sold for scrapping on 28 November 1933.


  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS H-8 at NavSource Naval History

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.