USS Hazel (AN-29)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Hazel.
Career (USA)
Name: USS Hazel
Namesake: small tree or shrub which bears the hazelnut, or filbert
Builder: American Shipbuilding Company, Cleveland, Ohio
Laid down: as Poplar (YN-24)
Launched: 15 February 1941
Commissioned: 17 December 1942 as USS Hazel (YN-24)
Decommissioned: 11 February 1958, at Mayport, Florida
In service: 27 October 1941 as Hazel (YN-24)
Renamed: Hazel prior to launching
Reclassified: AN-29, 20 January 1944
Struck: 1 September 1962
Fate: placed in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Florida
General characteristics
Type: Aloe-class net laying ship
Tonnage: 560 tons
Displacement: 850 tons
Length: 163' 2"
Beam: 30' 6"
Draft: 11' 8"
Propulsion: Diesel
Speed: 12.5 knots
Complement: 48 officers and enlisted
Armament: one single 3"/50 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns, two depth charge tracks

The second USS Hazel (AN-29/YN-24) was an Aloe-class net laying ship which was assigned to serve the U.S. Navy during World War II with her protective anti-submarine nets.

Built in Lorain, Ohio

Hazel (YN-24), originally Poplar but renamed soon after keel-laying, was launched 15 February 1941 by American Shipbuilding Company, Lorain, Ohio, and was placed in service 27 October 1941. She commissioned 17 December 1942 at Newport, Rhode Island, Lt. (j.g.) A. W. Brown commanding.

World War II service

After being placed in service, Hazel steamed to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Boston, Massachusetts, where her outfitting was completed. She performed net laying duties at Portland, Maine, and had returned to Boston by the fateful morning of America's entry into the war, 7 December 1941.

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, the net tender was assigned to Newport, where she performed patrol duties in addition to installing and maintaining the anti-submarine net. Hazel commissioned in December 1942, and remained in the Narragansett Bay area, based at the Naval Net Depot, Melville, Rhode Island. She occasionally performed patrol and fire fighting duties in addition to net tending and installation.

Hazel was redesignated AN-29, 20 January 1944 and after spending October-November 1944 at Portland, Maine, returned to Newport to train officers and men in net defenses and do experimental work for the net depot. She arrived Boston, Massachusetts, 21 February 1945 to work on the Boston harbor nets, and in the spring was assigned to the Panama Canal Zone. Hazel departed Boston 20 April and arrived Cristobal 2 May 1945.

Tending nets in the Panama Canal Zone defense system until the end of the war, Hazel then took on the large task of removing the intricate defenses from the Canal and its approaches. This was completed 14 October 1945 and the ship returned to its base at Coco Solo. She remained in the 15th Naval District performing miscellaneous duties at Coco Solo, Balboa, and other installations until 2 December 1957, when she departed for Florida.

Post-war decommissioning

Hazel arrived Mayport, Florida, 9 December and decommissioned 11 February 1958. She was placed in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Florida, where she remained until struck from the Navy List 1 September 1962.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - YN-24 Poplar / Hazel - AN-29 Hazel


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.