USS Hooper

Career
Name: USS Hooper
Namesake: Stanford Caldwell Hooper
Builder: Bethlehem-Pacific Coast Steel Corp.
Laid down: 4 January 1956
Launched: 1 August 1957
Commissioned: 18 March 1958
Decommissioned: 6 June 1973
Struck: 6 June 1973
Motto: Sans Peur
("Without Fear")
Fate: Sold for scrap
General characteristics
Class & type: Template:Sclass/core
Displacement: 1,877 long tons (1,907 t) full load
Length: 314 ft 6 in (95.86 m)
Beam: 36 ft 9 in (11.20 m)
Draft: 18 ft (5.5 m)
Propulsion: 2 × Foster-Wheeler boilers
1 × De Laval geared turbine
20,000 shp (15 MW)
1 shaft
Speed: 27 knots (31 mph; 50 km/h)
Range: 6,000 nmi (11,000 km) at 12 kn (14 mph; 22 km/h)
Complement: 170
Armament: • 4 × 3"/50 caliber guns
• 1 × Squid ASW mortar
• 6 × 324 mm (12.8 in) Mark 32 torpedo tubes
Mark 44 and 46 torpedoes

USS Hooper (DE-1026) (originally USS Gatch) was a Template:Sclass/core in the United States Navy. She was named for Rear Admiral Stanford Caldwell Hooper, head of the Navy's Radio Division from 1914–1928, and Director of Naval Communications until 1945.

Hooper was launched by Bethlehem-Pacific Coast Steel Corp., San Francisco, 1 August 1957; sponsored by Miss Elizabeth Hooper, daughter of Rear Admiral Hooper; and commissioned at San Francisco 18 March 1958, Lt. Comdr. J. K. Leslie in command.

One of a new class of fast escort vessels designed for convoy work, Hooper conducted shakedown training out of her home port, San Diego, before deploying with the 7th Fleet. The escort vessel took part in antisubmarine operations and joined the vital Formosa Patrol before returning to the United States 9 April 1959. Through 1961 she continued to operate with the 7th Fleet and in the San Diego area.

In January 1962, Hooper began a two-month assignment as school ship at San Diego for antisubmarine training. Entering the yard at Hunter's Point in March, the ship had her aft 3-inch mount replaced with a helicopter flight deck and a single 20 mm cannon to increase her versatility, and also had the newest sonar equipment installed. Returning to her regular pattern of deployments to the Far East, Hooper continued to play an important role in keeping the peace in this vital area. In addition to her regular operations, she took part in SEATO maneuvers in the spring of 1963.

After serving in Hawaiian waters, Hooper returned to the Far East in July 1964. During November Hooper patrolled the Taiwan Strait. She returned to San Diego 16 December where she conducted coastal operations through 1965.

On 6 January 1966 Hooper, along with Bridget, Evans, and Bronstein, escorted USS Yorktown to Hawaii. She then departed Pearl Harbor 7 February for Yokosuka, Japan, where she arrived 17 February. From 21 February to 18 March, she patrolled the Formosa Strait again. During the next 6 months Hooper operated off Vietnam, contributing to the safety of the government of South Vietnam. On 15 July Hooper departed Yokosuka for San Diego. En route the ship assisted in the search for a downed Royal Thailand Army DC-3 carrying Brigadier General Joseph Stillwell, Jr. The search was fruitless. Arriving at San Diego 22 July, Hooper operated off the West Coast for the remainder of the year and into 1967.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.