USS Iolanda (AKS-14)

Career (US)
Ordered: as SS William A Dobson
EC2-S-C1 hull
Laid down: date unknown
Launched: 21 October 1944
Acquired: 31 October 1944
Commissioned: 31 October 1944
Decommissioned: 2 November 1944
In service: 14 June 1945
Out of service: 11 July 1946
Struck: date unknown
Fate: scrapped in 1972
General characteristics
Displacement: 4,023 t.(lt) 14,350 t.(fl)
Length: 441 ft 7 in (134.59 m)
Beam: 56 ft 11 in (17.35 m)
Draught: 27 ft 7 in (8.41 m)
Propulsion: reciprocating steam engine, single shaft, 2,500hp
Speed: 11 kts
Endurance: 17,000 miles
Complement: 195
Armament: one 5"/38 dual purpose gun mount, one single 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, eight single 20mm gun mounts

USS Iolanda (AKS-14) was an Acubens-class general stores issue ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering and disbursing goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.

Iolanda (AKS-14), originally a "liberty ship", was launched by New England Shipbuilding Corporation, South Portland, Maine, 21 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. Gary Jones; acquired and commissioned with a skeleton crew 31 October for transfer to Bethlehem Steel's Simpson Yard, East Boston, Massachusetts. The ship decommissioned 2 November 1944 for conversion to Navy use, and commissioned in full 14 June 1945, Lt. Comdr. E. G. Kelly in command.

World War II service

Following shakedown in the Chesapeake Bay area, Iolanda arrived Bayonne, New Jersey, 21 July 1945 to load almost 3,000 tons of general stores consisting of the almost 8,000 different items needed by the operating ships of the fleet. She departed 3 August for duty in the western Pacific Ocean and sailing via the Panama Canal Zone and Pearl Harbor arrived Ulithi, America's bustling advance base in the western Carolines. Iolanda steamed into Ulithi 24 September to help supply America's victorious fleet. She steamed from Ulithi 30 September, to provision ships at Okinawa, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.

End-of-war supply operations

The first day of 1946 saw her at Manus loading additional stores, and she departed 1 February to replenish vessels at Guam, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. Iolanda supplied both ships and shore stations in support of the occupation until departing Shanghai 10 April 1946.

Post-war decommissioning

After a stopover at Guam she proceeded to Pearl Harbor, where she decommissioned 11 July 1946. Later towed to San Francisco, California, Iolanda was returned to the Maritime Commission 24 April 1947 and was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, California, where she remained until she was scrapped in 1972.

Military awards and honors

Iolanda’s crew was eligible for the following medals:


References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

External links

  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AKS-14 Iolanda

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.