USS Kenmore (AP-162)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Kenmore.
Career
Name: USS Kenmore
Builder: California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, California
Laid down: 8 May 1943
Launched: 30 May 1943, as SS James H. McClintock
Commissioned: 14 November 1943, as USS Kenmore (AP-162)
Decommissioned: 1 February 1946
Reclassified: AK-221, 20 August 1944
Struck: 1 February 1946
Honors and
awards:
2 battle stars (WWII)
Fate: Sold for scrapping, 1973
General characteristics
Class & type:
Type: EC2-S-C1 hull
Displacement: 4,023 long tons (4,088 t) light
12,350 long tons (12,548 t) full
Length: 441 ft 6 in (134.57 m)
Beam: 56 ft 11 in (17.35 m)
Draft: 24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)
Propulsion: Reciprocating steam engine, single propeller, 2,500 shp (1,864 kW)
Speed: 12.8 knots (23.7 km/h; 14.7 mph)
Complement: 256 officers and enlisted
Armament: • 1 × single 5"/38 caliber gun
• 4 × single 3"/50 caliber guns
• 8 × 20 mm guns

USS Kenmore (AP-162) (later redisgnated AK-221) was a built during World War II for the U.S. Navy. She carried cargo and/or troops into battle areas in the Pacific Ocean, and continued this work until the end of the war, when she returned Stateside with two battle stars to her credit.

Kenmore was launched as SS James H. McClintock on 30 May 1943 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, California, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. T. J. Bluechel; renamed Kenmore 27 October 1943; acquired by the Navy and commissioned 14 November 1943, Lt. Comdr. O. H. Pitts, in command.

Service history

1943–1944

Kenmore loaded cargo and departed Oakland, California, 22 November 1943, arriving Pearl Harbor on 1 December. After repairs at Pearl Harbor, she prepared for the Marshall Islands invasion and departed Hawaii 25 January 1944. Nine days later she arrived off the shores of Majuro Atoll with troops and equipment of the attacking force. The cargo ship returned to Pearl Harbor 21 February to embark garrison troops for the Gilbert Islands, debarking them at Tarawa in March.

After shuttling troops between the Gilberts and Hawaii for the next two months, Kenmore departed Honolulu 29 May for Kwajalein, the staging area for the invasion of the Marianas. There she loaded troops of the 106th Infantry and arrived with the massive amphibious force in the assault area off Saipan 20 June. After a beachhead was secured, Kenmore remained in the area until 8 July unloading cargo and equipment. Throughout the summer she transported troops among the Marshalls, Marianas, and Hawaii.

Reclassified AK-221 on 20 August, Kenmore stood out of Honolulu 25 September with cargo and reinforcements for the Palau Islands via Eniwetok, arriving Kossal Roads 29 October. She continued supplying the Pacific Islands with men and equipment for the next six months.

1945–1946

The cargo ship departed Ulithi 20 April 1945 with reinforcements needed for the Okinawa campaign, arriving there six days later.

In the closing days of the war, Kenmore shuttled troops between California and the Pacific Islands, insuring the already inevitable victory. When hostilities ended 15 August, Kenmore was assigned to Operation "Magic Carpet" duty. She made two cruises between the Islands, China, and San Francisco arriving with her final group 15 December.

Kenmore remained in San Francisco, California, and decommissioned there 1 February 1946. She was delivered to the War Shipping Administration the same day for return to her owner. Her name reverted to SS James H. McClintock.

Kenmore received two battle stars for World War II service.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of Kenmore at NavSource Naval History
  • Photo gallery at Naval Historical Center

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.