World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Linnet (AMS-24)

Article Id: WHEBN0011868144
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Linnet (AMS-24)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Linnet (AMS-24)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Linnet.
Career (United States)
Name: USS YMS-395
Builder: Harbor Boat Building
Terminal Island, California
Laid down: 11 July 1942
Launched: 15 July 1943
Commissioned: 20 November 1943
Renamed: USS Linnet (AMS-24), 18 February 1947
Namesake: the linnet bird
Reclassified: MSC(O)-24, 7 February 1955
Decommissioned: 13 September 1957
In service: 30 October 1959, Naval Reserve training ship
Out of service: 3 September 1968
Struck: 1 October 1968
Fate: Sold; ultimate fate unknown
General characteristics
Class & type: YMS-135 subclass of YMS-1-class minesweepers
Displacement: 270 t
Length: 136 ft (41 m)
Beam: 24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)
Draft: 8 ft (2.4 m)
Propulsion: 2 × 880 bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines
2 shafts
Speed: 15 knots (28 km/h)
Complement: 32
Armament: 1 × 3"/50 caliber gun mount
2 × 20 mm guns
2 × depth charge projectors

USS Linnet (AMS-24/YMS-395) was a YMS-1-class minesweeper of the YMS-135 subclass built for the United States Navy during World War II.

Linnet was laid down on 11 July 1942 by Harbor Boat Building of Terminal Island, California, launched on 15 July 1943, and completed 19 November 1943. She was commissioned USS YMS-395 on 20 November 1943 with Lt. William V. Byrd in command.

After shakedown off San Pedro, California, she continued ASW patrols off the California coast until 7 March 1944, when she sailed for Pearl Harbor. The minesweeper then sailed for the Marshall Islands arriving Majuro 18 April. For the next 16 months YMS-395 engaged in patrol operations, convoy escort duty, and minesweeper services in the Marshall and Gilbert Islands. Together with similar ships of her type, she played an important role in defeat of Japan by keeping the staging harbors clear of enemy mines,

After the Japanese surrender, YMS-395 departed Guam 14 September 1945, touching several islands before arriving San Pedro, California, 26 October. She remained on the West Coast until May 1946 performing experimental minesweeping tests and after arriving Charleston, South Carolina, on 13 June she continued similar exercises alone the East Coast.

YMS-395 was renamed USS Linnet (AMS-24) on 18 February 1947, and later that month was assigned to the Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, Virginia. From 1947 until 1957 Linnet operated along the west coast and performed experiments and exercises in all phases of mine warfare. She was reclassified MSC(O)-24 on 7 February 1955 and decommissioned at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 13 September 1957.

Linnet was placed in service as a U.S. Naval Reserve training ship 30 October 1959, and was assigned to the 4th Naval District for duty at Atlantic City, New Jersey. She continued in this service until 3 September 1968, when she was relieved by Meadowlark.

Struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 1 October 1968 and sold sometime after, the veteran minesweeper's ultimate fate is unknown.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of Linnet at NavSource Naval History


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.