World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Maury (DD-100)

Article Id: WHEBN0000961773
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Maury (DD-100)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of Wickes class destroyers, Ralph Horween, List of destroyers of the United States Navy, USS Maury, List of ship decommissionings in 1930
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Maury (DD-100)

USS Maury (DD-100) at Gibraltar, circa in 1919
History
United States
Namesake: Matthew Fontaine Maury
Builder: Fore River Shipyard, Quincy, Massachusetts
Laid down: 4 May 1918
Launched: 4 July 1918
Commissioned: 23 September 1918
Decommissioned: 19 March 1930
Reclassified: 17 July 1920, DM-5
Struck: 22 October 1930
Fate: Scrapped, 1 May 1934
General characteristics
Class & type: Wickes class destroyer
Displacement: 1,199 tons
Length: 314 ft 5 in (95.83 m)
Beam: 31 ft 9 in (9.68 m)
Draft: 9 ft 2 in (2.79 m)
Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Complement: 133 officers and enlisted
Armament: 4 × 4" (102 mm), 1 × 3" (76 mm), 12 × 21" (533 mm) torpedo tubes

The first USS Maury (DD-100) was a Wickes-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War I and the years following. She was named in honor of Matthew Fontaine Maury.

History

Maury was laid down 4 May 1918 by Fore River Shipbuilding Company, Quincy, Massachusetts; launched 4 July 1918; sponsored by Miss Anna Hamlin; and commissioned 23 September 1918, Lieutenant Commander John H. Newton in command.

Maury, having completed an east coast shakedown, departed New York City 12 November 1918 to escort a convoy bound for France. Detached off the Azores, she proceeded to Gibraltar, arriving on the 26th. She cruised in the western Mediterranean until reporting for duty with the Adriatic Detachment at Venice 18 February 1919. With that squadron for the next 5 months, she participated in their “umpiring” duties as first Rear Admiral Albert Niblack and then Rear Admiral Adolphus Andrews sought to employ their good offices in the political rivalry for the natural harbors of the Adriatic. Primary contenders for this area, particularly Trieste, were Italy and the newly created state of Yugoslavia, itself fraught with internal nationalistic dissension. Secondary postwar problems connected with this duty involved clearing the Adriatic of the multitude of mines which broke away with winds and presented a menace to shipping; distribution of food to the hunger-stricken Balkans; and providing for the ever-growing numbers of refugees.

Maury returned to New York 25 July and 3 months later steamed to Philadelphia where she remained, undergoing overhaul, until 24 April 1920. On 17 July she was redesignated DM-5, light minelayer, and after another lengthy stay at Philadelphia reported to Mine Squadron I at Gloucester, Massachusetts, 23 July 1921. For the next 7 years she cruised the waters off the east coast, deploying each winter to join in fleet problems which, with one exception, 1925, took her to the Caribbean. In 1925 she sailed to the Pacific for a problem involving protective screening, seizing, and occupying of an unfortified anchorage in the vicinity of enemy territory and fueling at sea.

After a winter deployment in waters off Cuba in 1929, Maury spent the summer in the Gulf of Mexico and in September returned to the east coast. On 30 September she moored at Philadelphia where she decommissioned 19 March 1930. Struck from the Naval Register 22 October, she was sold 17 January 1931 to Boston Iron & Metal Company, Baltimore, Maryland, and scrapped 1 May 1934.

References

External links

  • NavSource Photos
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.