USS Osmond Ingram (APD-35)

Career (US)
Namesake: Osmond Ingram
Builder: Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Fore River Shipyard, Quincy
Laid down: 15 October 1918
Launched: 23 February 1919
Commissioned: 28 June 1919
Decommissioned: 8 January 1946
Struck: 21 January 1946
Fate: sold for scrapping, 17 June 1946
General characteristics
Class & type: Template:Sclass-
Displacement: 1,215 tons
Length: 314 feet 4 inches (95.81 m)
Beam: 31 feet 8 inches (9.65 m)
Draft: 9 feet 10 inches (3 m)
Propulsion: 26,500 shp (20 MW);
geared turbines,
2 screws
Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Range: 4,900 nmi (9,100 km)
  @ 15 kt
Complement: 122 officers and enlisted
Armament: 4 x 4" (102 mm), 1 x 3" (76 mm), 12 x 21" (533 mm) tt.

USS Osmond Ingram (DD-255/AVD–9/APD-35) was a Template:Sclass- in the United States Navy during World War II. She was named for Osmond Ingram.

Osmond Ingram was laid down 15 October 1918 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Quincy, Massachusetts; launched 23 February 1919; sponsored by Mrs. N. E. Ingram, mother of Osmond Ingram; and commissioned at Boston 28 June 1919, Lieutenant Commander M. B. DeMott in command. She was designated AVD–9 from 2 August 1940 until 4 November 1943; reverted to DD–255 until 22 June 1944; and completed her service as APD–35.

History

After several years’ Atlantic service in fleet operations, Osmond Ingram decommissioned 24 June 1922 and went into reserve at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Converted to seaplane tender, she recommissioned 22 November 1940 and sailed for San Juan, Puerto Rico, her home port from 15 January 1941. She tended patrol planes through the area bounded by Trinidad, Antigua, and San Juan, then sailed to base in the Panama Canal Zone tending patrol craft at Salinas, Ecuador, and in the Galápagos Islands through June 1942.

Returning to destroyer functions, she completed 1942 on escort duty between Trinidad and Recife and Belém, then sailed north to NS Argentia, Newfoundland, to join the offensive antisubmarine warfare patrol formed around Bogue, one of the most effective of the antisubmarine forces that ranged the Atlantic that ultimately defeated the U-boats and secured the passage of the men and goods across the Atlantic, vital to triumph in Europe. Osmond Ingram sank her first submarine, U-172, with gunfire 13 December 1943 after she had been forced to surface by depth charge attacks. This and similar outstanding performance of duty by her sisters brought the group a Presidential Unit Citation (US).

After a convoy to Gibraltar early in 1944, Osmond Ingram served on escort duty between New York and Trinidad until June, when she entered Charleston Navy Yard for conversion to a high speed transport. She joined amphibious forces in the Mediterranean in time for the pre-invasion assaults on islands off the French coast 14 August 1944, then escorted convoys along the French and Italian coasts until returning Norfolk, Virginia late in December.

Now assigned to the Pacific, Osmond Ingram continued her war service with escort duty en route New York via Panama to San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and Ulithi. She sailed 2 April 1945 with an assault force for Okinawa, and until that island was secured, alternately escorted fast convoys to Saipan and Guam and patrolled the seaward defense lines for Hagushi Anchorage. During July, she escorted ships between Leyte and Hollandia, New Guinea; in August, began patrols through the Philippines and to Borneo. After the end of the war she aided in the occupation of Japan, calling at Wakayama, Kure, and Nagoya until sailing for home.

Fate

Osmond Ingram decommissioned at Philadelphia 8 January 1946, was struck from the Navy List 21 January 1946, and was sold for scrapping to Hugo Neu 17 June 1946.

Osmond Ingram received 6 battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation for World War II service.

As of 2013, no other ships have been named Osmond Ingram.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/255.htm

Template:Flush-decker high speed transport

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.