World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Searcher (AGR-4)

Article Id: WHEBN0019083934
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Searcher (AGR-4)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Vigil (AGR-12), USS Interpreter (AGR-14), SS John P. Gaines, SS James Iredell, SS James Longstreet
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Searcher (AGR-4)

History
Union Navy Jack United States
Name: USS Searcher
Ordered: as a type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 2338
Builder: J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida
Laid down: as SS James W. Wheeler, 11 December 1944
Launched: 23 January 1945
Sponsored by: Mrs. R. D. Turnage
Acquired: by the U.S. Navy, 19 September 1954, at Wilmington, North Carolina
Commissioned: 2 April 1955 as USS Searcher (YAGR-4) at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina
Decommissioned: 1 July 1965
Renamed: Searcher, 1954
Reclassified: AGR-4, 28 September 1958
Refit: converted to a Radar picket ship at the Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina
Struck: 1 July 1965
Homeport: Davisville, Rhode Island
Fate: sold for scrapping, 31 May 1970
General characteristics
Type: Guardian-class radar picket ship
Tons burthen: 10,760 tons
Length: 441' 6"
Beam: 56' 11"
Draft: 24'
Installed power: two Electric Generators
Propulsion: two 220 PSI boilers; one 3 cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; one 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower 2,500
Speed: 11 knots
Capacity: Fuel Oil, 443,646 gals; Diesel, 68,267 gals; Fresh Water, 15,082 gals; Ballast, 1,326,657 gals fresh water
Complement: 13 officers, 138 enlisted
Armament: two 3"/50 guns

USS Searcher (YAGR-4/AGR-4) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1954. She was obtained from the National Defense Reserve Fleet and reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Atlantic Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.

Built in Panama City, Florida

Searcher (YAGR-4) was laid down on 11 December 1944 under U.S. Maritime Commission contract (MC hull E-2338) by the J. A. Jones Construction Co., Panama City, Florida, as Liberty ship James W. Wheeler; launched on 23 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. R. D. Turnage; and delivered on 5 February 1945 to the Calmar Steamship Company.

Reclassified YAGR-4 in August 1954, she was acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Administration on 15 September 1954; renamed Searcher; converted to a radar picket ship at the Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina; and commissioned on 2 April 1955, Lt. Comdr. James A. Paulick in command.

Radar picket duty

Searcher departed Charleston, South Carolina, on 16 May 1955 for Newport, Rhode Island, where, after shakedown, she reported for duty with the seaward extension of America's early warning defense system. She reported on station for her first patrol on 5 July 1955.

Fitted with sophisticated electronic search and tracking equipment, Searcher could detect, track, and report enemy aircraft at great distances, and control high-speed interceptor aircraft in event of attack. She also carried out weather reporting duties during her three-to-four-week-long cruises.

On 13 November 1955, Searcher was damaged by an engine room fire which burned for six and one-half hours before being extinguished with the aid of two other ships. Her patrols were otherwise uneventful. She was reclassified AGR-4 effective 28 September 1958; and, during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, she operated at sea for 60 out of 67 days.

Decommissioning

On 1 July 1965, Searcher was decommissioned, struck from the Navy List and transferred to the Maritime Administration. She was laid up in the Hudson River berthing area of the National Defense Reserve Fleet until sold for scrapping on 7 August 1970 to the North American Smelting Co., Wilmington, Delaware.

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.