World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Stag (AW-1)

Article Id: WHEBN0006002229
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Stag (AW-1)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Unclassified miscellaneous vessel, USS Wildcat (AW-2)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Stag (AW-1)

Error creating thumbnail: File seems to be missing:

USS Stag (AW-1) c. mid-1944, probably upon completion of conversion to a water distilling ship.
She is painted in Camouflage Measure 32, Design 11F. The medium tones of this pattern are only faintly visible on the ship's forward and midships hull sides.
Career
Name: USS Stag
Builder: Delta Shipbuilding Company, New Orleans, Louisiana
Laid down: 13 November 1943
Launched: 7 January 1944
Commissioned: 16 February 1944
Decommissioned: 30 April 1946
Struck: 1 July 1960
Fate: Scrapped, 1970
General characteristics
Type: Distilling ship
Displacement: 3,745 long tons (3,805 t) light
14,350 long tons (14,580 t) full
Length: 441 ft 6 in (134.57 m)
Beam: 56 ft 11 in (17.35 m)
Draft: 28 ft 4 in (8.64 m)
Propulsion: Reciprocating steam engine, single propeller
Speed: 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)
Complement: 171 officers and enlisted
Armament: • 1 × 5"/38 caliber gun
• 1 × 3"/50 caliber gun

USS Stag (AW-1) was one of four water distilling ships built for the United States Navy during World War II. The lead ship in her class, she was named for a ruminant mammal belonging to the family Cervidae.

Originally laid down as the SS Norman O. Pedrick on 13 November 1943 a Maritime Commission type (Z-ET1-S-C3) tanker hull (MC hull 1932) under Maritime Commission by the Delta Shipbuilding Company of New Orleans, Louisiana; launched on 7 January 1944, sponsored by Mrs. Parks B. Pedrick; acquired by the Navy from the War Shipping Administration under a bareboat charter on 16 February 1944; and commissioned the same day as USS Stag (IX-128) with Lieutenant Emery A. Winckler in command.

Service history

Stag was converted from a tanker to a water distilling ship by the Tampa Shipbuilding Company in Tampa, Florida from 1 March through late July. Redesignated as USS Stag (AW-1) (date unknown), she held sea trials and shakedown off Galveston, Texas on 7 August. Twenty days later, she got underway for the Panama Canal. On 13 September, Stag stood out of the canal and proceeded independently to New Guinea. The 32-day cruise proved uneventful, and the tanker dropped anchor in Finschhafen, New Guinea, on 15 October only to receive orders to move to Hollandia that day. She arrived at Humboldt Bay on 18 October and was assigned to Service Squadron 9, Service Force, 7th Fleet. From 19 October through 21 November, she supplied fresh water to fleet units and merchantmen.

Stag sailed for the Philippines with a convoy on 22 November and arrived in San Pedro Bay, Leyte, six days later. She shuttled between there, Lingayen, Subic Bay, Mindoro, and Manila until mid-May 1945, supplying water to fleet units. On 16 May, she sailed for Morotai, Netherlands East Indies, and supplied water to units there for two months before returning to the Philippines. She continued operating in that archipelago until the end of the year when she was ordered to return, via Pearl Harbor and San Diego, to the East Coast.

Stag reported to the Commander, Atlantic Fleet, at Norfolk, Virginia on 25 February 1946 for duty and to the 5th Naval District on 5 March for disposal. She was decommissioned at Norfolk on 30 April and was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 8 May 1946. Transferred to the Maritime Commission for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at James River, Fort Eustis, Virginia and renamed SS Norman O. Pedrick, the ship was ultimately scrapped in 1970 at Burriana, Spain.

See also

Template:Sister-inline

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

Template:Liberty ships N

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.