World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Superior (1814)

Article Id: WHEBN0011921117
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Superior (1814)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Battle of Big Sandy Creek, Engagements on Lake Ontario, USS Superior
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Superior (1814)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Superior.
Career (United States)
Name: USS Superior
Builder: Henry Eckford, Sackets Harbor, New York
Laid down: February 1814
Launched: 2 May 1814
Fate: Sold sometime before 1824
General characteristics
Type: Frigate
Displacement: 1,580 long tons (1,605 t)
Propulsion: Sail
Complement: 500 officers and enlisted
Armament: • 30 × medium Columbiads 32-pounder guns
• 2 × long 24-pounder guns
• 26 × 42-pounder carronades

USS Superior was built for the War of 1812, and was named after one of the Great Lakes where much of the shipboard fighting was done during that war. The Superior was a U.S. Navy frigate built in 1814 at Sackets Harbor, New York, by Henry Eckford, and was laid down in February 1814 and launched on 2 May of the same year.

Operations on Lake Ontario

Built for service in Commodore Isaac Chauncey's squadron on Lake Ontario, Superior was commanded by Lt. John H. Elton. She joined the squadron in late July off the English base at Kingston, Ontario. The frigate operated there through the summer as Chauncey blockaded Kingston, hoping to lure Sir James Yeo's fleet out for a decisive action.

Late in September, Superior helped transport General Izzard and some 3,000 troops from Sackets Harbor to Genesee, New York. She returned briefly to Kingston before sailing back to Sackets Harbor for the winter.

Post-War deactivation

Before warm weather returned, peace ended naval operations on Lake Ontario. Superior was laid up at Sackets Harbor and sold sometime before 1824.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.